• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Johnny's Green Chili Turkey Soup

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Johnny's Sopa Chili Verde

Funny how tomatoes give me heartburn, but tomatillos (their green cousin) don't.

1 medium onion, finely diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic (pre-chopped stuff out of a jar)
3 large jalapenos, seeded and diced finely (or a small tin of the Old El Paso stuff)
2 zucchinis, quartered lengthwise and diced (optional)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper or 1 whole Anaheim pepper, diced
1 cup chopped okra (I buy the frozen bag of it)
1/4 cup of minced cilantro (the grocery where I go has this freshly prepared)
1 large can of tomatillos, run through blender (or a jar of prepared green tomatillo-based salsa. I use a house brand. If you substitute with salsa, omit the jalapenos)
3 stalks of celery, finely diced
2 cups finely chopped spinach (I buy the frozen bag of it)
1 pound (.5 kilo) ground turkey or chicken
4 tablespoons good quality chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 pints or 1 litre of chicken broth
1 cup lime juice
1 can white kidney beans (I found this Italian brand called Rega that's really easy on the tummy and has minimal fartability)

Brown the meat, and throw all the ingredients into the pot. Let it boil away until the vegetables are mushy.

I make a batch of this every weekend. I work evening shifts and this is my take-to-work meal for the week and it's tasty enough that I never seem to get sick of it. Guess I'm turning into a creature of habit.

I find this meets my nutritional requirements. Spiciness depends on the state of my exhaust system, but on the whole peppers are anti-inflammatory. I'm actually pretty good with it even when I'm flaring.

Anyways, Joe was asking about turkey and this is what I usually do with it.