• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help needed on fistula

Hi everyone I am new to this forum but not new to crohns I was diagnosed when I was 15 and I am now 33.I have had three resections done over the years.Most medications have not agreed with me in the past other then predinsone which i ocassionaly use during a bad flare up.The past six months I have been having a rough time with an abscess forming directly below my belly button dead center of my scar from having surgerys.I just had surgery done on the abscess 3 weeks ago where surgeon removed a 5cm long by 3cm deep by 3 cm wide piece of my abdominal wall in order to remove abscess.The surgeon said he had not noticed any comunication with the intestines so he thought it might have been an abscess due to a infected stitch from prior surgery.Last surgery was 9 years ago.I had a similar problem about 4 years ago where a huge abscess formed under my belly button which had been caused by a staple being left in my abdominal wall.Long story short yesterday my new wound has been releasing some air and brown sludge infact it is kind of bubbling air now while i type so I no it must be a fistula.My question is what are your guys opinion on remicade and fistulas my gi doctor has talked to me in the past about going on imuran or remicade two drugs never tried and to be honest scared to death to try as I am a mechanic and a farmer so i am constantly around grease and dirt.I also really dont want to have surgery again to fix this problem so if remicade would work well i guess i would try it.Thanks for any input and very sorry for being so long winded

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community.

Based upon what you've described, I would go on both Imuran and Remicade at the same time if that's what your doctor is suggesting. You have a very advanced case of Crohn's disease and it needs to be brought under control immediately. I would be more scared of your disease state than I would the potential side effects of these medications.

All my best to you.

Hi thank you very much for your reply.Have you personaly had any luck closing fistuals with the medical compared to surgical approach.I never really thought ad my cade of crohns to be advanced between working as a mechanic and farming I generaly work 12 to14 hour days with out a lot of issue.Maybe I just am in denial though first time for a fistula so I guess something going on.Did you sign up for the clinical trials it does sound very good.Thanks again for reply

David

Co-Founder
I have not had any personal experiences, no. The clinical trial is in my signature, not specifically aimed at you though you may qualify (I don't know).

Fistulizing Crohn's disease is advanced, I'm afraid :(

Out of curiosity, do you spray organophosphates or synthetic pyrethroids on your farm? I ask because I have a theory that they may be the cause of some forms of Crohn's disease.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I have been on Remicade since July '14 for fistulas. A short time but I have seen progress. I had undiagnosed fistula for years. I have had a fistulotomy/seton placement and feel it has helped me.