Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Forum Approved Clinical Trials, Research Studies, Surveys and Products » Important new low side effect treatment option in clinical trial you may be eligible for (or help others learn about)

02-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Important new low side effect treatment option in clinical trial you may be eligible for (or help others learn about)

Hey Everyone.

You may or may not know about the "Site Specific Immunomodulation" (SSI) treatment by Qu Biologics which they are testing in people with Crohn's disease. They are currently in their phase I/II clinical trial and I just got word that they recently not only received approval to allow US residents into it, but THEY HAVE A STIPEND TOWARDS YOUR TRAVEL EXPENSES THAT SHOULD COVER MOST PEOPLE 100%!. What's amazing about SSI and why I really want this community to help them fill their trial is:

1. The treatment appears to have very little in the way of side effects. Mostly soreness at the injection site or occasionally flu-like symptoms.
2. The treatment seems to work VERY well to the point of putting some people into sustained remission and off all their medications.
3. The company is a small startup and is led by a super cool doctor/CEO (read his interview here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=43965)

Now, will it definitely work for you or is it the best option for you? I don't know. That is a conversation for you and your doctor and questions you should pose to Qu Biologics if you're interested. But it's an exciting new option and the more options people have, the better.

Here's where we come in. Not only do I think some of you would potentially benefit from this treatment, but because they're such a small company, they don't have the millions of dollars and connections with doctors around the world that big pharmaceutical companies do to make sure their trials get filled with people. Yet here they have this potentially highly effective treatment with very little side effects. How big of a tragedy would it be if the trial doesn't get filled (they have a lot of spots to fill yet) and this would have been a great treatment option? As such:

A. If you are looking for a new treatment for your Crohn's disease, please check out their website at http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/
B. If the trial is not right for you, please consider putting a link to this thread in your signature so we can get the word out to others who might be interested and qualify.

To put a link to this thread in your signature, do the following:
1. Go here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/profile.php?do=editsignature
2. Copy this and edit however you want:

-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. [URL="http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=60661"]Click here for more information or to help spread the word[/URL].
3. Save your signature.

PLEASE help spread the word about this clinical trial. It's time for people with Crohn's disease to have access to a potentially remission inducing treatment with what appears to be few side effects. Let's show the power of this community!

A crohnsforum.com member by the name of Trevor is in the trial. You can follow his experience here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=58980

This is an interview with Tyler Wilson who has Crohn's disease and was able to utilize SSI:

If you join the trial and start a diary thread, please let me know so I can link it here.
02-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
David
Co-Founder

I'd love some constructive feedback as to how I can more effectively spread this message. I just think this is so important and exciting but I must not be articulating myself very well. Any help on that front would be greatly appreciated!
02-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
superzeeman

This sounds exciting and promising! I hope that it performs well and gets approved.
Buproprion
LDN
Lamictal
Mulit Vitamins
Probiotics
Low Carb
Beer
Coffee
Cigars
02-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
darster

My Support Groups:
Thanks for getting the info out there!
02-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
CLCH87

My Support Groups:
I would be interested if it weren't so far away.
02-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Trevor

Ha, I just logged in to update my own SSI thread and saw this.

All I would add is that they are super nice! So friendly and helpful and honestly concerned about people. I've mostly spoken with the admin person and a study nurse, both have been great to deal with.

David, maybe re-post some of the videos/interviews/news spots? It was a radio interview with Dr. Gunn on "The Natural Health Show" that got me to give them a call.

Oh and I guess the other thing I can offer is local help, born and raised Vancouverite here so if anyone is thinking about coming from far away and has questions about that side of things I'm your guy

- Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
02-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
David
Co-Founder

Awesome Trevor! You're in the clinical trial? Can you link me to your thread?
02-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Trevor

I'm in! It's just an in-person exam/questionare left. So unless I miraculously recover before march 7th (no chance of that...) or they don't like the look of me (entirely possible, I look like I just walked out of the woods most days) I'm all set.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=58980
02-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Hi david, Im not eligible for the trial, but I was wondering about including this information in a blog post with a link to this thread for more information if you think that would be okay?

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
02-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
Barnacle

I found this thread via someone's signature. Is this the miracle cure we've been looking for?
02-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Amaze

My Support Groups:
damn I'm not elegible

"A sad soul can kill you quicker, far quicker, than a germ."

-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
02-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I would be willing to try.
02-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
Trevor

Come on up, ronroush7 !

I'd absolutely at least give them a call if you're eligible and find out if you can make it work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/QuBiologics?feature=watch

There's the Qu youtube channel, some good vidoes.

And then Tyler Wilson, if you haven't already seen him.

http://crohnszone.blogspot.ca/2012/0...remission.html

I'm pretty excited about his story because it's sounds very similar to mine as far as his symptom progression and drug treatment.
02-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Where is it?
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Trevor

Vancouver, Canada.
02-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
David
Co-Founder

Trevor, do you mind if I link to your thread in the first post?

Thanks to all in this thread who have put a link to this in their signature!
02-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
Trevor

Absolutely! Anything I can do to help, David.
02-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
David
Co-Founder

Hi david, Im not eligible for the trial, but I was wondering about including this information in a blog post with a link to this thread for more information if you think that would be okay?
That would be wonderful, thank you!
02-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
David
Co-Founder

Absolutely! Anything I can do to help, David.
Thank you I've edited it into the first post.

I hope the trial works for you. But even if not, you're doing a great service to people with Crohn's just for trying. Science like this is so very important. I commend you for your bravery and willingness to give an experimental treatment a try.
02-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #20
David
Co-Founder

I would be interested if it weren't so far away.
You only have to go to Canada once and they have a travel stipend that should cover your expenses. If you're looking for a new treatment option, I'd suggest at least giving them a call and seeing what you think after talking with them.
02-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #21
David
Co-Founder

I found this thread via someone's signature. Is this the miracle cure we've been looking for?
It's not a miracle cure, no. It's an exciting experimental treatment that we hope will end up being effective at putting a lot of people into remission.
03-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #22
ruhereyet

I completed the pre-screening and will see what they say when the call. Per the video, though, you have to make three trips to Vancouver. The travel stipend seems fair, though, and appears to be what I would pay to travel and stay in Canada.
03-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #23
David
Co-Founder

That's great ruhereyet! Out of curiosity, which video? As I am pretty sure it's just one trip now and want to either bring the error to their attention or be corrected myself.
03-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #24
ruhereyet

There's a four minute video from the CEO of the company. He outlines the three trips. First one is 9 days. Second is 3-9 days (depending on how well the trial is working). Third is three days. I'm not on my PC, or I'd link it. It's definitely more do-able if only one trip is required. I wasn't sure how I was going to manage three trips to Canada. Please let me know what you find out. Thank you.
03-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #25
ruhereyet

I got a call today from Qu. They said that since I was currently taking a biologic, I was ineligible to participate. I was given a letter, though, to give to my GI that explains the trial so he can make an informed decision whether to take me off my current drugs. The folks there were so very nice. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed since I've had no relief from Humira.
03-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #26
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I watched the video as well which says 3 trips. I'd be interested if it was one trip and I can stay on Remicade. I hope it proves to be positive.
03-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #27
Trevor

They have super comfy chairs. If that helps :P

Toilet paper isn't so good...
03-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #28
David
Co-Founder

I was mistaken. It IS three trips to Canada. Sorry about that. I got my wires mixed somewhere along the lines. But they do provide the travel stipend which is great.

Trevor, I hope you told them they need to improve their toilet paper? If not, let me know and I will.
03-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #29
Trevor

Haha, I didn't mention it. It's in the same office as my GI and I am sure it's been pointed out to them before, what with the hundreds of IBD patients that cycle through that floor every day. My guess is that it's provided by the building and they don't want to fork out for nice stuff for the whole floor.

Don't worry :P I am a byotp (bring your own tp) expert.
03-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #30
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Added to signature. I wish I could participate but can't go off Remicade.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Forum Approved Clinical Trials, Research Studies, Surveys and Products » Important new low side effect treatment option in clinical trial you may be eligible for (or help others learn about)