• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

College Student, diagnosed three years ago

Hi all! I'm a freshman in college, was diagnosed in February 2012. Had some serious ups and downs, including a bout with C-Diff that put me in the hospital for 17 days at the end of 2013, but overall, things have been relatively stable. Counting my blessings there. Currently on Asacol, Remicade, and methotrexate, doc says i have a shot at quitting the methotrexate if I make it through spring with no flares.

Honestly, the worst part of everything for me is mental. The physical part isn't fun, but the mental part is worse. I've never felt right since I got diagnosed. It comes and goes, gets much worse when I've just come off prednisone. It seems like most people who have trouble with prednisone have it while they're on it, mine comes along after I get off it and my hormones are out of whack. Just waking up everyday and not knowing how the day will go. Right before I got C-Diff I had been working out and had gained a bunch of weight and I told my mom I felt the best I had ever felt... Within a couple weeks I was homebound and didn't return to school for two months. I'm just tired.

Welcome! Glad you found us, but sad you had to.

I've had C Diff and it sucks. I think the unpredictability of life with a chronic illness is definitely one of the hardest parts, you just never know hoe you are going to feel at any given time.

Hi :)
Sorry that you are feeling unwell. I am on my first flare up now - a seemingly endless battle. I have little to no pains (probably because on so many drugs), but the mental is so difficult. Your post makes me feel better in that it shows/reminds me that I am not alone (because I seriously feel like an island right now). So perhaps I can offer you support in the form of letting you know that I am also going through this and that you (we) am (are) not alone. :ghug:

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I can understand how the mental side of things is tough for you. It is for many :(

My one question is have you had your vitamin D and vitamin B12 levels tested? Both are VERY common deficiencies in people with Crohn's disease and both can affect how people feel mentally.