• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy found ulcers

Hi everyone,
Thanks for letting me in 😊 I got diagnosed with crohns about ten years ago. I was put on pentasa slow release tablets And gradually got weaned off them
After a few years! I had a colonoscopy yesterday after experiencing my first bad flare up. They've picked up a large amount of ulcers all the way along. I'm now on steroids for three months then other medication.
Has anyone else got ulcers, experience on steroids etc?ive been really lucky up to now and not needed any major treatment. This has scared me slightly. Any advice would be amazing, thanks Laura

I have just been diagnosed with Crohn's and they found ulcers. They biopsied them to make sure no cancer. I just started on budesonide two days age it is suppose to have lower side effects. I would not worry too much as long as the biopsies come back good. They will hopefully be treated with the Medicine.

They have prescribed me azathioprine after my steroids. But reading up on it has scared me to death. As far as I know they took no biopsies, but put me on immediate medication.
How are you feeling in your self?

Ps I've just started on budesonide too

Honey

Staff member
Hi there and welcome,
I am currently on Prednisolone, a small doze but have been on the others you mention. Weight gain is really the biggest problem for me and a bloated tummy. It is an individual thing ,what suits me may not help you. The main objective is to keep the inflammation down so there is no pain, and you are able to eat well. I hope you keep well. Best wishes.
:rosette1::bigwave::rosette1:

Thank you. The fact they have picked up ulcers on the colonoscopy, can they reduce with treatment, or will the ulcers always be there now?

Hi Ljfurn, I answered you on another thread but yes if you can treat the disease effectively and achieve mucosal healing then the ulcers will go away. For a long time treatment has often been considered a success if we achieve symptomatic remission but this hasn't reduced the number of patients needing surgery, so now doctors are talking about setting the target of mucosal healing (article here). As I understand it the best treatments for achieving mucosal healing are Exclusive Enteral Nutrition and infliximab.

You could always ask your doctor if you could try a course of EEN along with budesonide (or instead of budesonide) and starting azathioprine. They might agree to a 6-8 week course of Modulen or Fortisip, and you could ask whether they think infliximab would be right for you. Of course there's the funding issue and NICE guidelines etc but it's always worth discussing any treatments you're interested in.

In fact when they said you had ulcers throughout is that from your terminal ileum to exit? Because Budesonide only treats inflammation from the ileum to the ascending colon and nothing further downstream. It's worth checking it's appropriate for your disease location (I learned that from experience!)

Thanks 24601,
He said all the way down but I'm
Back to see him in two months. Problem
I had after colonoscopy was, I was still dopey and drowsy, hadn't eaten in over a day and all I wanted to do was break wind and go home and snuggle lol and he was explaining what he had found 🙈 my friend wasn't allowed to come in with me so I didn't have an extra pair of ears 😕 thanks for all they information

Yup, totally understand. It's hard to take all the information in sometimes anyway but when you're still coming round from sedation it's pretty near impossible. :ghug:

Welcome to the forum Laura.
Ulcers are a complication that can get worse.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/crohns-disease/basics/complications/con-20032061
My ulcers were in the large intestine. My doctor decided to treat them aggressively with Remicade, and a year later they are now all gone, including the fistulas they caused. I have one small patch of inflammation left, according to my latest colonoscopy, so my dosage has been increased to get rid of that too. If you start losing a lot of weight and having constant diarrhea etc. you may need stronger medication to deal with the ulcers.

Thanks tuff,
Ive had no major probs for years. Then started getting a dull ache in my lower right side and occasional diarrhea, which is why I ended up having a colonoscopy 😁 now im covered in ulcers apparently so on the medication. Just a bit of a shock really because no weight loss, and not on the toilet continuously like i was when I got diagnosed. Long as bloods come back ok he wants me on azathioprine but side affects are scaring me when i do some research 😫 you never know what to do for the best sometimes do you, and ive had an easy ride for so long unlike many.