Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Remicade and pneumonia?

03-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
joelh

Remicade and pneumonia?

Have been on remicade for a year. This winter I came down with pneumonia twice! My GI says they aren't linked but I am very reluctant to keep going with remicade. The pneumonia cost me 5 weeks of work.

Has anyone else experienced a major illness while on remicade?
03-31-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Definitely not linked but you are more susceptible to all contagious things because it suppresses your immune system.
03-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
D Bergy

I don't know if the pathogen, mycoplasma pneumonia, is typically part of Crohn's, but it was part of mine. It was the worst of all the pathogens I have identified that I belive are involved with my Crohns. A prescription for Imuran brought it roaring back very quickly.

The symptoms when it increased was the typical pneumonia symptoms, crushing fatigue, but more importantly, it caused a lot of inflammation in my intestinal tract.

Zithromax will knock it down, but will not eliminate it. It is quite difficult to eliminate entirely.

Dan
03-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
joelh

My frustration is that the remicade is absolutely working for me. I am 3 weeks overdue for an infusion and am flareing again. The pneumonia has really brought down my overall health and it seemed that it is o e or the other right now

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » Remicade and pneumonia?