Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Difference in symptoms between fissure and hemmie

04-08-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
Layla

My Support Groups:
Difference in symptoms between fissure and hemmie

Hi all,

I've had a fissure on and off for years now, the more D I have the worse the fissure plays up.
I've recently started Humira and although it's not as effective as it was the first couple of weeks I still have less D and certainly less urgent than before. However the fissure is getting worse and bleeding lots which it rarely used to do before.
That got me thinking that maybe I've developed a hemmie instead or as well...

Does anyone know what the difference is in symptoms between the 2? It hurts just as much but maybe just slightly differently than before and rectogesic cream and suppositories don't seem to be doing much.

How do I figure out which it is? I don't have an appointment scheduled anytime soon and of course I keep hoping that it will clear up by itself.....

What does a hemmie feel like?
Anyone have experience with both?

And if it is, how do I treat it?
04-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Take a small mirror and set it on the floor. Squat over it and see if you have any purple or red lumps. Whenever I had an external hemorrhoid, I could feel a lump with my finger. If you have an internal hemorrhoid that is bleeding, you may not have any pain or external signs.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
04-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Layla

My Support Groups:
Thanks for that 2thfairy, I think there is something there but I thought it was just the recently removed skin tag returning.
It's also really itchy which is new and after having read some other threads on here I think it's likely that it is a hemorrhoid or 2, great, not!

Off to find something that will help get rid of them or at least the pain and itching!
04-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've currently got both internal & external hemmies. It's my experience that the external ones tend to hurt but not bleed, and the internal ones tend to bleed (and they can bleed a lot) but not hurt as much. Sometimes I'll feel like I have to poo and it's like there's something in my rectum but I can't get it out, and I wonder if that's me attempting to poo out my hemmies? But yeah, there's not much pain from the internal ones, it just kinda feels like "stuff" is in your rectum. I've had itchiness from my hemmies as well. I also take the hydrocortisone suppositories for them - the suppositories seem to do nothing for the external ones, but they work so-so for the internal ones. It did take about 2-3 weeks of being on the suppositories before I noticed any difference, so give it a little time to kick in. For the external ones, I just put a little cream on them (I prefer Calmoseptine as it's cooling and soothing, it calms down the itchiness). That's been going okay. They take awhile to heal, or at least for me they do, so be patient with them. Try not to strain when you go to the bathroom and don't sit on the toilet too long if you can avoid it, as those things can make them worse. Good luck and I hope they go away soon!
04-11-2015, 01:36 AM   #5
Layla

My Support Groups:
Thanks Catatonic!

So it might be that I have both internal and external hemmies judging by the increased blood, although I don't have that feeling that something is there when I go to the toilet. Could be that the pain is from the fissure which is joining the party.
I've read the leaflets that come with the cream and suppositories and they both say they work for fissures and hemmies so I'll carry on with them.

I've also restarted the psyllium very carefully hoping that it will help with the D but not so much that it becomes too firm.

This forum is great!
04-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've just restarted psyllium myself! I'm only taking 1 teaspoon a day in a big glass of water, as I also don't want to upset things too much. So far so good for me. I hope it works well for you too!
04-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Layla

My Support Groups:
Well, I went to the GP and it turns out he thinks I have another fissure or two. He didn't think I had hemmies but there are a few new skin tags forming and he said they point to more fissures.
I guess 2 fissures bleed more than one!
Can't find Calmoseptine here but the pharmacist kindly looked it up and gave me some zinc oxide cream which is helping.
The psyllium is also helping so I'm hopeful that they will calm down a bit.
04-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Glad you got it checked out. I hope you will get some relief quick!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Difference in symptoms between fissure and hemmie