Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Blood in his stool this morn

04-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
lookame

My Support Groups:
Blood in his stool this morn

History I'd my son's issues
A month old bloody diapers-er visit and told can't digest milk
age 2-3- sewage like watery diarrhea (no formed stools at all)
age 5- gained 1 lb in an entire yr
age 6- random often bouts if diarrhea and random episodes of vometting

He's had Bloodwork done and it has come back fine.

My son is 8 yrs old. This morning he went to the bathroom around 3am and I heard him start crying. He had diarrhea and complained his back and stomach hurt. Later on he went to the bathroom again and forgot to flysh. I noticed there was some blood and mucous in his stool and stool was mushy- blood was a couple of spots and bright red.

Now I was diagnosed with IBD in 2010 after a long yr of intense bloody diarrhea but in high school I had trouble gaining weight and had mucousy stools often. With my history I'm prone to jump to conclusions so I'd just like some insight...lol

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
04-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
lookame

My Support Groups:
Also 2 or 3 months ago I had c-diff but he's not running a fever and is acting "normal" and only complains of pain when he's in the bathroom Passing diarrhea/stools.
04-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm so sorry to hear this but I think you know what I'm going to say.
He needs to see his general doctor ASAP!
C. Diff can be present without a fever.
If it is c diff catching early will hopefully help fight it off faster.
Also ask for labs. Sed rate, crp, cbc .....
Given your history and even his when he was younger, the doc needs to take it seriously.
My girl started having issues since 3 months old.
I hope it's an easy fix. Hugs
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
04-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
FrozenGirl

I agree with Farmwife. He needs to be checked out Asap. Given the family history scopes might be warranted if stool tests don't show C-Diff.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
04-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
lookame

My Support Groups:
I called his pediatrician and let them know. He's going to see her tomorrow. I feel like every yr or every 2 years he has a "hiccup" and exhibits symptoms but every time he gets checked it's nothing and I look like a helicopter parent or something. My husband reminded me though that it's not the first time he's woken up with back aches/stomach aches in the middle of the night and diarrhea.

If anything I'd like to get a stool sample done since that hasn't been done...maybe that'll provide more info than bloodwork.
04-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
I agree on the testing. I would add fecal calprotectin to the list even though if he has cdiff that could be the cause of elevated results but if cdiff comes back negative and fc is still elevated it may move you to scopes faster.

Good luck! I hope it is an easy fix!
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
04-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Don't worry about what you look like. My first daughter went undiagnosed for two years because I was a crazy sports parent only concerned with swim times. My second daughter went undiagnosed for three years because I was a paranoid crohn's parent who thought just because she had one daughter with the disease her other daughter had it.

Blood in the stool is not normal kid stuff. May not be crohn's but still needs to be investigated
04-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
lookame

My Support Groups:
Well he's gone to the bathroom this morning and there wasn't any blood but it also wasn't a healthy stool. as he called it, it was crumbled. I want to say probably more mucous but I can't be sure. he also had an episode last night which he felt like he needed to go but he didn't really have to. he sees his dr at 2 today and I see my GI in a little bit as well(so maybe I could ask a few questions to my GI). *sigh*
04-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Jmrogers4

My asymptomatic son doesn't have anything register in bloodwork but has had slightly elevated fecal calprotectin which when investigated farther showed inflammation throughout small intestine.
Feeling a need to go but not having to could signal inflammation (at least it did in my son). Is he waking up in the night either going or feeling like he has to? Waking up in the to defecate is a red flag in my son's GI's book.
Sounds like definitely more investigation needed but yes at least confirm/rule out c-diff. (no fever with c-diff for my son and no blood until about the 3rd day)

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
04-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
lookame

My Support Groups:
Well his pedi ordered stool samples(occult blood, fecal calproctine, c-diff) and blood work(sedation rate and some others). He seems perfectly fine now so I have a feeling nothing will show but it's still good to get him tested in case he is starting to show...get it nipped in the bud so he won't have to deal with the issues I've dealt with. we will see I guess
04-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
lookame

My Support Groups:
How long does it usually take for the results to come back? I collected his samples fri morn (some diarrhea some formed no blood) and he got his blood drawn around 2pm friday. I don't think it was a rush order...just wanted to have an idea when to expect a call or results...
04-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Fecal cal about a week
Sed rate etc an hour they know the results
Other stool tests about a day or two

Some Gi wait until they have all the results
If you have a patient portal they should show up in there quicker
04-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #13
lookame

My Support Groups:
Well this morn he woke me up and told me he had blood again in his stool. I took a look and sure enough there were a few dime sized spots. He had salad with his dinner last night and it appeared he had trouble digesting it. Poor kiddo :/ I hope the test results come back soon and I hope there's some more answers (and not that everything is normal cause I'm starting to realize everything isn't normal).
04-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #14
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Oh man! That stinks and I despise waiting for that FC test to come back. A Friday turn in can result in the doc getting results the next Friday or even the Monday after that!

Try to hang in there...answers are coming!
04-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #15
lookame

My Support Groups:
I sent his pedi an email this morn abouts the blood and I got a call just now. They are going ahead and referring him to a gastrointestinal doctor even though the results haven't come back yet. With his symptoms and history and my history its seems better to go ahead and refer him out.
04-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #16
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
I am sure I speak for the committee....Agreed and approved! Good ped!

The good thing is you won't be delayed with GI because you will already have blood and stool tests done!
04-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #17
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good job ped and mom
04-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #18
CarolinAlaska
Holding It Together

My Support Groups:
Yea for the referral! I hope he can get in without too much delay!
Osteoporosis/osteopenia, Scoliosis, EDS, Asthma, Epilepsy, Hla B-27 positive, gluten intolerant, thrombophlebitis, c.diff, depression, anxiety, postural tachycardia/POTS and multiple food allergies.
04-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #19
Jmrogers4

Glad things are moving along quickly and you don't have to wait on results.
04-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope the referral doesn't take too long so you can get some answers
04-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #21
lookame

My Support Groups:
So I want to make sure I cover everything at the referral, what are some things (even if they don't seem like they'd be symptoms) should I make sure to say.

He's always been a sweater when he sleeps and he seems to always itch-sometimes there's small red bumps but not always, he wears glasses but he's never complained of eye pain, there are times he gets a migraine and will lay down and sleep until the next morning...is there anything else which would be a red flag symptom that isn't necessarily digestive related (obviously I'd tell them about the blood and his digestive symptoms)...
04-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #22
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'd test for Celiac if you haven't already. Good luck!
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
04-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #23
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
How has his growth and weight gain been? Has he fallen off his curve? This is a big one with kids.

Also if he has had any joint pain you will want to mention that.

I know you are familiar with digestive issues but constipation, lack of appetite, getting full fast, feeling like lump in throat, random vomiting for no apparent reason and constipation are also pretty popular in the pediatric population.

Mouth ulcers are another one.

Good luck! You're on it!
04-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #24
lookame

My Support Groups:
He has an appointment with a GI next tues. Still no news on his labs and he's been normal since so idk. Knowing him he's done showing symptoms until next yr. Well see what the GI wants to do...hoping the labs will come back today.
04-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #25
DanceMom
When my daughter was younger her symptoms would come and go too. It made diagnosis very difficult. Keep a symptom log, take pictures, and be persistent!

Diagnoses: Immune Dysfunction, Hypogammaglobulinemia, Asthma, Allergies

Treatment: Hizentra, Flovent, Zyrtec, Cellcept
04-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
lookame

My Support Groups:
Labs came back normal...is it OK if I'm frustrated about that. Don't get me wrong I'm happy he's fine but I'm frustrated there's not more answers to why he's had blood. It's making me second guess myself.
04-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #27
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
FC normal also? There are some kids on here who return normal blood labs but disease was still found during scopes. It is not the norm but it does happen. T is one of them.

It is much less common to return a normal FC and still have active inflammation. It was the FC test that finally alerted us to T possibly having IBD.

Do NOT second guess yourself. Normal labs are only one part of the puzzle but diarrhea is diarrhea! Blood is blood! Pain is pain! Nausea is nausea!

Keep the GI appointment and see what they say. In everything I read, if FC is normal they aren't likely to scope but I would still ask them to find a reason for his symptoms. IBD is just one of many things that can be going on.

undiagnosed land is not fun!
04-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #28
lookame

My Support Groups:
I'm not sure what the FC was. The nurse I spoke with said I was already aware the labs were normal but I don't have any numbers or anything to really know what I'm dealing eith. I plan to ask at his appointment about the FC result. I know IBD can be difficult to diagnose as symptoms tend to come and go. I just can't shake the gut feeling something is up...that being said it may be my history that has me feeling like this and I need to realize that kids get stomach aches and bugs.

Still I plan to keep the GI appointment and at least discuss with him everything that's been going on. It can't hurt. I also plan to start keeping a log for him...
04-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #29
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Can you request a copy of his labs?
04-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #30
DanceMom
Always ask for a copy of labs! I've learned the hard way that doctors aren't always honest.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Blood in his stool this morn