• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Novel mechanism for Crohn's disease uncovered

http://tinyurl.com/k3ujoth

Novel mechanism for Crohn's disease uncovered

Posted: 23 Apr 2015 07:24 AM PDT
Crohn's disease is one of a family of chronic inflammatory bowel diseases. Scientists have now shown that the presence of certain intestinal bacteria also plays a role. A study has shown that in mice, bacterial imbalance in the gut can lead to an inflammation similar to Crohn's disease, and this can be transmitted to other animals.

Jay

There seems to be some truth to that. After my surgery four years ago, my surgeon recommended eating yogurt daily to replenish the bacteria that is friendly to the intestines. No flare up since then.

Thanks for the feedback! I eat Greek yogurt too.

I would like to become part of an "eat poop" study, hopefully become cured, and be able to stop taking azathioprine. I really hate the idea of taking something that reduces my immune system -- something that can give me cancer.

Jay

It's not clear to me that fecal transplant would be enough to get bacteria where they need to go since Crohn's can affect the entire gi tract.

Thanks for posting this exciting research