Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Should I wear a mask to visit friend in hospital?

05-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
JoFowler

My Support Groups:
Should I wear a mask to visit friend in hospital?

My friend is in the hospital and I would like to visit with her. I am on Remicade and wonder if I should wear a mask there while visiting?

I would rather avoid the hospital and germs, but she was the one who sat with me my first night in the ER with a perianal abscess and major crohn's flare the when I actually got diagnosed with crohns, so I'd like to be there with her, if she wants company.
05-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Forum Monitor

I think it's unlikely to be necessary, unless you know there is a particular risk factor beyond being on remicade.

Also, apparently those paper masks are only good for three minutes anyway - according to my stem cell transplant nurse - so it's probably best to simply practise good hand hygiene (gel in and out of hopsital, whenever you touch anything and don't put your hands near your hands or mouth). And stay away from anyone coughing!

Other than that try not to worry and I'd say go visit your friend and support her - she sounds like a keeper
05-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
JoFowler

My Support Groups:
Okay, thanks for the advice! I don't want to go overboard with paranoia - but don't want to get sick either lol
05-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Forum Monitor

I completely understand the concern and it's only natural to worry - after all we are told about all the risks with our meds.
05-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Yeah , the hand gel and just being careful should be enough, do you not have to go into hospital to have your infusions ?
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
05-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
lbeyer113

I had a liver transplant in 1997 and I don't worry about germs at all. You have to live life and I prefer not to make a spectacle of myself or my illnesses. If your friend has pneunomia, wear a mask or better yet, call.
05-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
JoFowler

My Support Groups:
In the end, she didn't want visitors. Thanks for all the advice! And I will relax haha

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Should I wear a mask to visit friend in hospital?