Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Starting Imuran and am not pleased...or am I?

05-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
jkd1111

My Support Groups:
Starting Imuran and am not pleased...or am I?

Well it has happened. I have fistulizing Crohn's. Long story short...was on remi for 9 years, switched to Humira just because of the convenience. It is NOT working and the fistula are getting worse (the insides are pretty good at this point though). Just developed pyraderma gangrenosa on my hands (extremely painful!!!!) and spent the night in the hospital. The team of doctors (resident, teaching doc, 2 gastros and a dermatologist) all got together and decided this....I'm switching to Imuran. Fine and dandy except I'm extremely allergic to mercaptopurin (6MP) a cousin drug. I'm not in the least thrilled about this but the gastros think this is a good course for now and we will just play it by ear. I did tell the one gastro that I wished it was his ear we were playing by. At least he got the joke and laughed.

I was diagnosed 34 years ago at 27 and was a poster child then for Crohn's....now at 61 it is starting all over again. I'm not complaining too much tho as most of the years in between were pretty good as compared to most of you. So I feel lucky. I also feel lucky that I have such a good hospital and team of physicians so close by (well a 100 mile trek one way but whose counting). They are also tied in with Mayo Clinic so the resources are huge. PLUS I found a 2nd gastro which thrilled me to no end. I really like mine, but I'm really liking this other guy too. At least now I have someone else to talk to if necessary and feel comfortable to change to if need be.

Anyway, I just needed to get all of this out of my system and tell someone who understands.
05-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
FrozenGirl

Ugh that sucks. Its scary switching drugs and more so when you know there is a very real chance you have an allergic reaction. Glad you at least have a good team of doctors you trust. It is so important. I don't know what I would do without my GI.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
05-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
jkd1111

My Support Groups:
Just found out that I'm to continue with the Humira (weekly) while on the Imuran.....See the gastro next week for a follow up. Geeze I hope this works.
05-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
FrozenGirl

Adding on to Biologics like Humira is very common. Hope it works for you.
05-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
jkd1111

My Support Groups:
Thanks for that. I was in the hospital for 2 days and so much information thrown at me I'm all confused. Sooooo, your comment makes me feel way better. I was getting a little worried.
05-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
FrozenGirl

I know the feeling. You want to just pause life so you can process everything.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Starting Imuran and am not pleased...or am I?