• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seasonal Inflammation Responses discovered

Scientists finally figured out why you rarely get sick in the summer

I was wondering if anyone notices any seasonal fluctuations with their IBD as well, if our bodies are more likely to produce certain inflammatory responses during certain times of the year, how it would affect IBD.

I can say that the majority of my worst flares have happened between October and February... my first one being the odd one out and occurring in the summer but when I was travelling.

nogutsnoglory

I haven't noticed a seasonal shift but others have reported that allergies affect them and that anti-histamines make a difference.

Lady Organic

Staff member
I started to be sick in the summer in July of 2001 and got diagnosed on 9/11 2001 :shifty-t: . I took a x-ray barium test in the morning, saw the planes crashing and in the afternoon the radiologist calls me and urged me to see a GI because she saw IBD. at that moment, I was very sick, but it had probably started slowly in the spring though. and actually, all my relapses have started in the summer to culminate in the fall. so i really dont fit the above theory...

Whilst I was at school and university I would usually have a flare around September time. I'm not sure if it was a seasonal thing or just due to the stresses of going back to school/uni. Since I left uni I've been in an epic 4-year flare up which started very suddenly in July 2011 (11 months after leaving uni) and hasn't varied much with the seasons.

These findings need to be normalized to account for changes in dietary intake over the course of a year.