Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » InstantCoffee Log, rather than bloat the weight gain thread.

08-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #121
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I've been having on and off issues for the past 2 weeks, I'm starting to think it was my new psyllium husks in a pill. Not sure why it is, whether it's the pill capsule material or the way it digests differently in a pill form.

I was really careful monday about everything I ate, then took 6 before bed and had an awful night's sleep. Last night I didn't take any and things were much better.

Guess I'll stick with the loose stuff, even if it tastes likes the bottom of a hamster cage.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
09-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #122
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
And I figured it out. It's red meat =/

All I had in the house was bacon and steak, so I barely ate anything all weekend and by the time I went shopping monday I could barely push the cart.

I can eat oats again. Why does my stomach just do a 180 every 6 months or so?
09-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #123
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's maddening at times with the twists and turns our conditions take. I attribute my stomach confusion to the wide variety of activities, foods and supplements that can upset my stomach, along with slow healing. I'm avoiding many things at the moment, and have different theories being juggled but avoiding beef and gelatin is at the top of my list. I'm doing better as a result.
09-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #124
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wasn't going to write as much! But probably should update last nights post. it was on my mind at the time.

I've had some success with a fish diet the gut being well, and energy improved. Early on the diet was mainly a wild caught salmon diet. When I added tuna in olive oil to the diet a few weeks ago I noticed that my energy levels have not been all that great. I can't deny avoiding tuna and olive oil for a few days has me feeling more energized once again. I've done this a few times with the same improved energy result.

As usual with this confusing condition, is it a tune or olive allergy or maybe difficulty digesting say olive oil. Why also was I concerned with beef. Is is a problem food for me or was I overly critical when I reintroduced it to the diet. I'll have to retest it again, next month. These diet trials are so much fun, oy.
09-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #125
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I have trouble with olive oil, I don't think the fats in it are as healthy as people say.

Have you tried supplementing fish oil for EPA / DHA? It's a common deficiency and could be why you're experiencing a benefit from fish. I think it's also anti-inflammatory and prebiotic.

I'm considering doing an anti-micriobial diet focused on restricting acellular carbohydrates to kill any candida / pathogenic bacteria in the gut.

Going to reduce meat intake, that seemed to be what set me off. I didn't realize how I was slowly adding more and more meat and less other things. When I last recovered I was reducing meat for other things to the point I was only having a small portion of meat a day and the rest was eggs and grain based snack foods.
09-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #126
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I used to take a large amount of fish oil. I stopped fish oil as I didn't think it was helping. I stopped believing in the cholesterol theory for heart disease also.

Good luck on the anti-microbial diet and reducing meat in the diet. Hope it gets you going forward once again!

I mentioned on the sight yesterday an anti-microbial oxygen idea I do when I'm at home. Thought to mention in case it might help you. I'll vortex water, which adds oxygen bubbles to it. The first time I did that I couldn't believe it as I was entirely well to the stomach. I stayed well for awhile to. Then it stopped working, and began working once again later on. Sounds all to familiar.

The vortex water simple idea being that good bacteria do not mind oxygen while bad bacteria prefer to not be exposed to it. At least that is what I read in an oxygen book for health. It's easy enough to do with stirring water for a few minutes.

It's been a good year for me health wise. It would be nice if olive oil and olives were a problem. Both are relatively easy for me to avoid. Time will tell as always. It's nice to have energy today. Hoping tomorrow and into the weekend remains the same as that will likely help decide it.

And humorously I have couple olive trees growing in my yard. If olives do turn out to be a problem I'll be looking to remove and plant new trees I suppose.
09-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #127
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
That sounds counter-productive to my understanding. The gut microbiota we need most are anaerobic and don't survive well in oxygen, that's why FMT is so difficult and needs to be performed with a fresh sample within 5 minutes of harvesting, because the anaerobic bacteria we need to transfer do not like oxygen rich environments.

Invasive bacteria tend to be very flexible.
E.coli is a facultative anaerobic (that makes ATP by aerobic respiration if oxygen is present, but is capable of switching to fermentation or anaerobic respiration if oxygen is absent)
Listeria and klebsiella is the same as e. coli.

The Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria is the bacteria that is responsible for causing tuberculosis, or, in most instances this is the mycobacteria behind the infection. These bacteria require a lot of oxygen their very makeup is aerobic which is true of animals, fungi and many other bacteria.

I'm still having issues, but I haven't consumed meat in about a week and I'm trying to increase intake of plant matter to replace it slowly.

I had to fall back on chocolate shakes a few times to supplement my eating but now those too seem to be giving me issues.

I've been way under eating the past few weeks but I'm starting to have more energy and feel better eating mostly just rice, sunflower seeds and roast edamame.
09-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #128
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
All I can say is the oxygen water has worked well for me, in the past. I'm not doing that idea currently, but will once again once I return home in a week. I don't have the oxygen book with me so can't reference it, but I see on the internet there is a debate over the yeast candida over growth and oxygen, does it or does it not effect the yeasts growth. Some say no, others say yes. Possibly that is what caught my eye in the past and had me vortexing water to increase the oxygen content.

Its not much fun eating the same foods over the over. I'm dong the same pretty much though. Glad you have more energy. I'm back to the original diet I ate this summer that energized me. I think I have more energy. It's always hard to tell strange enough. I'll know for sure though when I lift weights and feel energized from it. Most of the time when I lift I feel run over for a day or two. On this diet, after a period of time following, the opposite happened, at least for a period this summer. Those were good fun weeks.
09-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #129
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yay! The good energy seems to have returned. I just mention as I worked out lifting weights, also helped cut down a tree. I also played tennis the other night. Typically any of these activities would have me fatigued and hurting greatly for a day or two.

Now, after returning to the wild salmon diet, I'm feeling energetic. I have little pain too.

This is what I experienced before. I'm hoping it continues, and hoping I can eventually figure out new foods to add to the diet. I'm sure I will eventually.
09-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #130
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Glad it's working out. There does seem to be some magic in fish, idk if it's just the DHA / EPA or what.

My condition has continued to worsen but I think I finally have something to go one. I'm starting to believe it's all the sugar free gum I've been having. It doesn't seem to trigger symptoms itself so I overlooked it, but the ingredients may be negatively impacting my gut biome or trigggering inflammation that makes other food harder to digest.

I'm going to cut the gum out and take a lot of probiotics and l-glutamine to try to fix what's been done and hope things start stabilizing. I've hardly been eating more than 1 meal a day.
09-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #131
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That is awful. My heart goes out to you. Take care of yourself, and I hope you get something going once again with the diet, or supplements, medications, what have you, to feel better.

I would guess you are onto something with the sugarless gum. My father has big health issues with sugarless products. Even small amounts will give him nasty headaches and upset stomachs.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but will mention, I recall in the past your mentioning taking zinc. Zinc is a problem supplement for him. It causes me severe stomach issues. If still taking, it might be worth a vacation from zinc just to see if that helps. Just a friendly suggestion.

I keep chugging along on the fish diet. I'm thinking olive oil and olives might be a problem. Hard to say of course but tuna in olive is out. It's now down to just salmon with meals, which isn't bad, but I'm ready to add some other protein to the diet in a week.
09-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #132
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Problems with zinc comes from two things, one is the type of zinc, some are more easily bioavaible and cause less upset. Citrate is the easiest to digest I think. A lot of store brands are gluconate or oxide which can cause gastric distress.

The other is low stomach acid - because zinc takes acid to digest.

I have a very acidic diet and always buy a good source like citrate or piccolonate (piccolonate is best for hormonal balance).

I was having salmon over creamed cheese on rice cakes last week. Was an interesting change, but the rice cakes didn't sit well after a few days. I think they might be fine once I get back on track.

I'm gotta pick up some more glutamine and see if I have arginine around still, and if not pick some up.

I really hope something works, I've in a state where, I believe, most people would go to the doctors, but I don't really think it would help, I've been sicker than this and they didn't do anything.

I think my only options now are like... LDN?

Last edited by InstantCoffee; 09-26-2016 at 12:01 PM.
09-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #133
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Day 2 or 3 without gum I'm improving. Now I'm starting to suspect I might have low level Phenylketonuria.

My diet seems similar to one of someone with pku, I seem to have a negative reaction to pku containing gum, and I did better supplementing with tyrosine, 5-htp and l-dopa which are the primary deficiencies caused by toxic phenylalanine buildup.

Thinking of inquiring to the doctors about a test.
10-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #134
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Haven't seen you post in awhile. Doing better? Hope so.
10-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #135
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Yeah, the gum was definitely the issue, it's been a slow road recovering my apetite and energy is still low but I'm getting full nights sleep again... sort of... but that's my own fault for staying up too late to raid with my WOW guild.

Trying to find out how I want to eat going forward, I've grown accustomed to not spending half my budget on steak and having expendable income lol, I bought a lot of guitar stuff to self medicate the sickness.
10-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #136
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad you are still kicking and doing a little bette. I hope that is it with the artificial sweeteners. As mentioned they certainly do a number on my father.

Ruff day for me. This is probably the worst day of the year so far, and I'm not all that tired. Kind of nice, in a backwards kind of way. I did some moving around that involved my stomach muscles more that I wanted. I knew I was going to be sick from it, just not this sick. Well, hopefully the stomach will settle down soon. I have a 3 day drive beginning Saturday. Being terribly sick on the road would be awful.
10-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #137
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
You've just described one of my anxieties. I drove almost an hour to a renaissance fair Saturday and my stomach had started off funky but it calmed down by the time I got there.

I'm always ready to look up the nearest best buy for a bathroom lol. There's always one near by.
10-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #138
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh I know, it is nerve racking. I was chuckling at myself, I have Imodium stashed away all over the car and in bags. I bought another bottle this morning. I believe that makes 5 bottles. Imodium doesn't help much but in case of emergency it's good to have around.

I remember a butt and gut doctor getting worked in one or our talks. I was super thin at the time, and heroine use was on the rise. He lectured me, finger even wagging toward my face, that he could tell if I was taking drug or not by how large my colon was. If constipated he would know I was an illegal drug user. I remember thinking incredible! if true could I shoot up at the hospital. Maybe I should see if there are some drug dealers around the area before the trip.

I hate being on the road but I'm confident I'll be OK this trip. Have good energy today which is amazing considering how poorly i felt yesterday. That historically is the two worries for me, all day flare, and zero energy/ overwhelming fatigue. I might have one of my problems taken care of with this salmon fish diet.
10-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #139
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I'm honestly not sure if immodium type stuff does anything for me.
I'll confess that after I had a few surgeries (tooth, chronic abscesses etc.) I would keep the painkillers and use them when I had a really really bad crohn's flare but had to get to work. IDK if they stopped me up but sure made being underslept and feeling horrible tolerable. I don't really consider it abuse as they were prescribed and I was just using them off label responsibly rather than recreationally.

My sunflower seed crunch bars are setting me off now. Not thrilled with this, they were one of my few sanity foods.
10-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #140
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It is terribly frustrating when a food that you didn't think was a problem, becomes a problem. I'm similar to you in some respects at the moment. I'm thinking now that potatoes are a problem, and possibly the whole nightshade family. Allergy to the nightshade family has been a long time concern of mine but I never could get it to work. And eating some potatoes I record hasn't been a problem. So anyway, I removed potato from my already limited diet and the result has been improved energy levels and less fatigue. This is a short term result though. The big think is long term energy gains. I'll see.

Understandable about the painkillers. These IBD conditions are horribly debilitating and pain management is needed.

I'm currently reading a book by Dr. Meg Patterson on reasons why people take drugs recreationally, how little is understood about addiction, and her way for over coming different addictions. it is absolutely fascinating to me at least at how large the illegal and legal prescription recreational drug trade is. I knew it was big but had no idea how popular and large it was. Drug distribution networks must be everywhere and enormous.
10-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #141
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is awesome, at least for me. As is usually the case, I've had confusion once I added a couple new foods to the diet. The new foods were potatos, and cantaloupe. When I became ill I jumped onto the idea that cantaloupe was the problem. I'd eaten potatoes for awhile and didn't seem to have a problem with them. I suspect now I was wrong. It's just that I notice once avoiding potatoes some sores on my tongue cleared up. I've known historically when the tongue looks health the stomach tends to do well. The stomach of late is further improved.

There are more problems, but hoping I'm back on track. There for awhile at least I had a good thing going. Just thought to mention as it is confusing figuring out problem foods. They seem fine for awhile, then possibly damage occurs over time. That is at least my guess with the latest food idea.
10-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #142
wildbill_52280

I've been having on and off issues for the past 2 weeks, I'm starting to think it was my new psyllium husks in a pill. Not sure why it is, whether it's the pill capsule material or the way it digests differently in a pill form.

I was really careful monday about everything I ate, then took 6 before bed and had an awful night's sleep. Last night I didn't take any and things were much better.

Guess I'll stick with the loose stuff, even if it tastes likes the bottom of a hamster cage.
I had issues putting psyllium in my oatmeal, it caused cramping for me likely because it was absorbing all the moisture in my intestine, letting it dissolve in water then drinking it is the only safe way, the bottle usually has a warning on the side of it, but you said it was in pill form so I guess that's another lesson in the supplement industry and how its highly unregulated.

In my experience highly fermentable foods like fiber should be eaten in the morning and not at night. and all your food should be eaten 5 hours before bedtime because intestinal movement really starts to slow down by then and you don't want something sitting in your small intestine. I recall a study that showed amylase production was correlated with circadian rythm.
10-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #143
wildbill_52280

And I figured it out. It's red meat =/

All I had in the house was bacon and steak, so I barely ate anything all weekend and by the time I went shopping monday I could barely push the cart.

I can eat oats again. Why does my stomach just do a 180 every 6 months or so?
there is a study that showed red meat as a risk factor for relapse in ulcerative colitis.

This may now change as Jowett and colleagues1 in this issue of Gut present interesting and clinically novel data studying the role of dietary factors on the clinical course of UC (see page 1479). In this prospective cohort study, they investigated the effects of habitual diet on relapses of disease. Impressively, 96% of patients (n = 191) completed the study. Dietary factors such as red and processed meat, protein, and alcohol, as well as sulphur and sulphate intake were positively associated with relapses.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774255/

another example of a diet study on crohn's semi vegetarian diet
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/achi...rohns-disease/

I mostly eat a lacto-vegetarian diet, but every 1-2 weeks I'll eat fish, and sometimes chicken so i rarely if ever eat meat in general, pretty never eat red meat. Red meat is also connected to developing colon cancer there is a type of molecule in it that is bad bacteria can eat or something like that it's a sugar like molecule that can increase inflammation.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25548184

fish on the other hand seems to lower the risk of colon cancer.
10-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #144
wildbill_52280

I have trouble with olive oil, I don't think the fats in it are as healthy as people say.

Have you tried supplementing fish oil for EPA / DHA? It's a common deficiency and could be why you're experiencing a benefit from fish. I think it's also anti-inflammatory and prebiotic.

I'm considering doing an anti-micriobial diet focused on restricting acellular carbohydrates to kill any candida / pathogenic bacteria in the gut.

Going to reduce meat intake, that seemed to be what set me off. I didn't realize how I was slowly adding more and more meat and less other things. When I last recovered I was reducing meat for other things to the point I was only having a small portion of meat a day and the rest was eggs and grain based snack foods.
there may even be bacteria in olive oil and on olives, from what i read its a big problem in olive production. I soak my whole canned olives in vinegar for 24 hours, if i eat olive oil I will only cook with it to destroy the bacteria /organism's. I eat mostly no-gmo canola oil spectrum brand because its high in omega 3. stay away from cheap canola.
10-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #145
wildbill_52280

Glad it's working out. There does seem to be some magic in fish, idk if it's just the DHA / EPA or what.

My condition has continued to worsen but I think I finally have something to go one. I'm starting to believe it's all the sugar free gum I've been having. It doesn't seem to trigger symptoms itself so I overlooked it, but the ingredients may be negatively impacting my gut biome or trigggering inflammation that makes other food harder to digest.

I'm going to cut the gum out and take a lot of probiotics and l-glutamine to try to fix what's been done and hope things start stabilizing. I've hardly been eating more than 1 meal a day.
Yes, sucralose has been linked to development of ibd, so other artificial sweeteners may also have negative affect on microbiome. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3202359/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291
10-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #146
wildbill_52280

Problems with zinc comes from two things, one is the type of zinc, some are more easily bioavaible and cause less upset. Citrate is the easiest to digest I think. A lot of store brands are gluconate or oxide which can cause gastric distress.

The other is low stomach acid - because zinc takes acid to digest.

I have a very acidic diet and always buy a good source like citrate or piccolonate (piccolonate is best for hormonal balance).

I was having salmon over creamed cheese on rice cakes last week. Was an interesting change, but the rice cakes didn't sit well after a few days. I think they might be fine once I get back on track.

I'm gotta pick up some more glutamine and see if I have arginine around still, and if not pick some up.

I really hope something works, I've in a state where, I believe, most people would go to the doctors, but I don't really think it would help, I've been sicker than this and they didn't do anything.

I think my only options now are like... LDN?
stay away from arginine, not only will it promote blood flow if you are bleeding, its used in a pathway in inflammation which creates byproducts which then feed bad bacteria in the gut.http://science.sciencemag.org/content/339/6120/708.full

if anything follow a low arginine diet, which would actually be low in meat because meat seems to be high in arginine, but so is peanut butter which you should also seldomly eat because its one of the most allergenic food products on the market and contains a whole bunch of crazy stuff.
10-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #147
wildbill_52280

InstantCoffee , have you ever tried fasting?
10-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #148
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Yes, sucralose has been linked to development of ibd, so other artificial sweeteners may also have negative affect on microbiome. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3202359/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291
I buy sucralose free gum because sucralose is a strong trigger for me. I believe it's the phenylalinine I'm reacting to.

Right now I'm back on a ketogenic diet as anything with sugar seems to be triggering symptoms. I can't eat enough complex carbs to sustain a healthy diet so I'm just going to eliminate carbs for now.

That's an interesting tidbit on arginine because studies on use of glutamine for crohn's suggest it's not very effective unless paired with arginine.

I'm an advocate of fasting and it's worked for me in the past but it's very difficult and sometimes not easy to do when having other issues.
10-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #149
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Instantcoffee,

I didn't see it mentioned on your blog. Another idea you might look into, if not already, is low dose naltrexone (LDN). I read it is a hit of miss medication for those with IBD conditions. The other day though i was reading of another person with a colitis issue that found LDN helpful. Thought to mention in case.
10-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #150
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
I know that in order to revisit my doctor he's going to want to do follow up scans that I can't afford. It will take all $1500 of my deductible to get a colonoscopy / endoscopy. I don't have that.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » InstantCoffee Log, rather than bloat the weight gain thread.