• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone have a child with a high ana and IBD?

hi, I am new to this part of the forum. To be honest I don't want any part of this one. I have Crohn's and my 7 yr old is about to get diagnosed with UC. I love genetics :ymad: Anyway when his rheumatologist got a hold of his biopsy results she ran more blood work. His ana came back positive 1:320. Everything I have read says for UC it is usually a low titered like 1:80. I just wanted some experienced opinions. From what I have seen, unless you work with doctors that actually have the diseases, they are just going on statistics like everyone else. Because I have more than one autoimmune disease, it makes me nervous for him. thanks

my little penguin

Staff member
DS does not have a high ANA
DS is 11 but was dx with crohns at age 7
No family history but gene study showed tons of crohns genes for him.

But he does have another autoimmune disorder
Juvenile spondyloarthritis associated with inflammtory bowel disease
We love DS Rheumo and GI they work as a team for DS.
Hope you get to the bottom of things soon.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter also has JIA (juvenile spondyloarthritis specifically) and has had a positive ANA but I can't remember the exact number. In her case, her rheumatologist thought it was likely caused by the biologic she was on (Remicade I think at that time) and we watched for signs of drug-induced Lupus but she was fine.

A positive ANA is more often associated with other types of JIA (oligoarticular I believe) and SLE, not really usually with JSpA. Does he have joint pain or other symptoms of arthritis, along with his UC?

In kids with JSpA, joints are often not swollen but are painful and stiff. Knees, hips, heels, ankles are commonly involved.

It's hard because he has ehlers danlos syndrome. So he has joint pain. I knew it was associated SLE but that makes me really nervous. They said something about arthalagia in his documents. It's just hard I have barely got myself together,some what remission except for four days out of the week. I have now given both my kids different autoimmune diseases, and their both boys.I just want to be able to help him but the only way I know how to do that is to be as well read as the doctors and push them. In my experience that's the only way they work. I nevee wanted this for my kids, as I am sure none of you did, but mainly because it has taken away s9 much ofy life. This is total crap and I am angry. Thanks

DustyKat

Super Moderator
My two don’t have high ANA levels.

You are right hun, it sucks and it is little wonder you feel the way you do. :ghug::ghug::ghug:

You are also spot on with how to deal with this…read, read and read some more and question, question, question everything. Knowledge is power and when you harness that power you become the best possible advocate for your child that you possibly can and no one can ask more of you than that. I think you have that down pat though. :)

Thinking of you and hoping that you soon have clear and concrete answers.

Dusty. xxx

Thanks so much. It's just good to know that there are others going thru the same things, unfortunately. I just need some of own answers before he goes back to the gi. Thanks

yes it's called (i think) medication induced lupus or lupus like symptoms. my sons not on any biologics yet. thanks so glad yours are in remission.

Autoimmune queen very sorry to hear. It is really hard having this illness and having another one on top of it really sucks.