• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ear piercings while on Remicade/Prednsone/Imuran?

I've been on Imuran for almost two years now since my diagnosis. I think it just stopped working for me, because I got a really terrible flare starting at the beginning of April. I was in the hospital for 10 days because of it. It took a long time, but I finally got approval from my doctor to start Remicade. I've had two double doses of it because of how severe my flare was. I've been out of the hospital for nearly two weeks now and I'm feeling fine.

I have been on Prednisone since the beginning of April. At one point my dosage was at 60 mg because it wasn't doing anything for me at all. I was given 40 mg a day of IV steroids in the hospital and was then moved back to 40 mg a day of oral Prednisone when I was discharged. When I followed up with my doctor, he wanted me to go down to 30 for a week, then 25, then 20, then 15, then 10, then 5, and then stop. I was fine with this originally, but then I started realizing how much trouble I had been having sleeping. I have been having really vivid, disturbing dreams and it's been causing me a lot of trouble while trying to sleep at night. I didn't believe that this was because of the Prednisone, but after doing some research, I have to say it probably is a side effect.

Also, last week my forehead started breaking out with minor acne. I have had major issues with long term cystic acne in the past. I have been on Accutane to treat it. When I was first diagnosed with Crohn's, the Prednisone I had been taking had caused me to break out in a rash that turned into terrible cystic acne all over my body for the next year. I was freaked out about the possibility of this happening again, so I called my doctor and he told me I could go down to 25 instead of 30, and then call him in a week to see where I go from there. With his original plan, I would be on the Prednisone for at least 6 more weeks, and I don't know if I can take that.

Also, he wants me to continue taking the Imuran for at least another year. I understand the need to taper it down, but if the Imuran isn't working for me anymore, I don't understand why I need to continue it while on Remicade for a whole more year. He also said he would most likely switch me to a different oral immunosuppressant when I ween off the Imuran eventually.

I have been making plans to get my ears pierced for the longest time. I wanted to get them pierced last year, but then I started taking Accutane for my terrible acne that had come about due to the Prednisone I had started because of my initial Crohn's flare the year before. So I waited to be taken off the Accutane - and even then it was suggested I wait at least 6 months to get any piercings and a year for tattoos because of the state of my skin. So I had made plans to get my ears pierced this month. Then I got this bad flare last month. And now here I am on two forms of immunosuppressants and Prednisone. My mom has been really concerned for my health and I know she won't want me to get my ears pierced at all because of my disease and my weakened immune system.

I've read that people have gotten piercings done while on Imuran and Remicade and it's gone fine, but Prednisone presents a whole new issue. I think I've decided to wait on piercings until after I am finally off the Prednisone, but how long should I wait? I know that Prednisone stays in your system for a while after you finally get off of it. I had originally heard that it stays in your body for months. I've been trying to avoid direct sunlight for too long because I think that's part of the problem concerning my irritated skin and acne. Since I'm a college student on summer vacation, it really sucks considering I had all these plans to go out and do stuff with friends. And then I had also wanted to get my ears pierced.

How long would the Prednisone stay in my system and affect me? What do you recommend?

Sorry I have no advice, other than if there is any doubt, I would for sure put off the piercings. I know that it sucks to have to give up simple pleasures when you are sick-but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not worth the risk of making you more ill.

Hugs, and hang in there!

I didn't read your post however I've gotten a few piercings while on biologics and I don't have issues. The first thing is don't go to a mall store where they use a gun. It'll cause bruised cartilage and takes longer to heal. Also there is no true way to full clean and sterilize those guns.

Go to a pricing studio!!! I can't stress that enough. They'll use a sterilized hollow needle and the only damage done is the hole itself. The jewelry they use is 100 percent surgical stainless steel and they have a full protocol on how to clean the area (salt soaks for pain, using antimicrobial soap ect).

I got my nose pierced while on remicade, 6mp and lialda and it healed within a week. (My piercings have always healed quickly as long as it's done at a studio).