• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just found this 2010 study on amino acid balancing to induce remission

Kind of interesting but most of it is way over my head in medical knowledge
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108661/

Patient with Crohn's for 22 years, basically tried every standard medication for treatment with no results, never had sustained remission.

They treated him with an amino acid modulation therapy that balanced his serotonin and dopamine and induced lasting remission.

Stumbled on this while trying to see if d-aspartic acid is crohn's safe. Still no answer on that.

I have to say that a single patient in a single paper, it almost means nothing.
We have doctors out there prescribing drugs that perform at or worse than the placebo in studies, (not necessarily for crohn's). I'd say a study that shows 100% success on a small sample size is still better than that.

I doubt it will see more testing unless they see more money to be made in it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17481962

Last edited:
Serotonin and dopamine amino acid precursors affect brain function and will certainly make the patient feel better. Just treating symptoms can be a serious problem in Crohn's as was found in a British Columbia study of cannabis effects. Long term marijuana smokers with Crohn's were found to have 5 times the number of surgeries as non-users because the symptoms were suppressed so much they didn't seek medical treatment.

I couldn't find anything that supported that 2010 study, except corroboration that IBD does reduce the production of dopamine and serotonin in the bowel. But that's an effect of Crohn's and adding more Serotonin and Dopamine shouldn't reduce the Crohn's inflammation.

I suspect it was a spontaneous remission.