• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In remission on Imuran, had to stop due to breast surgery, do I have to go back on??

Soon after I took clindamycin and some other antiobotics for dental work, I was diagnosed with Crohn's. No surprise there, eh? Asacol wasn't good for me, and now I've been on Imuran for almost 10 years, in remission since soon after I started Imuran. Yay!! Also I've been on probiotics. This year I had to stop the Imuran while I underwent breast surgery. Oh happy day, I took my last Imuran dose on April 8 and have had no symptoms. I wish this could happen for everyone.
Here is the hard part, and maybe I need tough talk from you guys: I don't want to go back on the Imuran. My GI guy, who is really good and whom I trust but has to follow his medical training, tells me I need to get back on the Imuran so as not to have a flare. Should I go back on this stuff, or should I give it a while to see if the Crohns is GONE? If this is too good to be true, then I guess I need that beaten into my head. Anyone out there have a similar story? THANK YOU!

Catherine

I would suggest have some blood tests done and faecal calprotection.

My daughter's GI said could try going off Imuran if she was in a long stable remission. But you need more monitoring without drugs than on drugs because a flare can be silent.