• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A "comedy" of errors

So I had an interesting night. Thought I'd share since I managed to find the humor in it.

Saw a worrying amount of blood in my stool earlier this morning, waited it out but when it kept happening throughout the day I decided I had to go to the ER.

So I did, it was fine, my blood tests were a little off but nothing huge, scheduled a FOURTH gastroscopy this year because she wanted to make sure once again that it's not some kind of ulceration. It all went smoothly.

(If you're squeamish about blood, don't read the rest of this)

Anyways, I'm there for a few hours but they release me, take the needle out of my arm, and I go to the bathroom before the drive home.

While on the toilet I feel that my arm feels strangely warm in my jacket so I stick my hand up the sleeve to feel. And find that blood is practically shooting out of my arm. I get tangled up in my jacket trying to get it off to apply pressure, and I'm starting to feel faint at this point. Not to mention I'm in a locked bathroom. Finally get the jacket off, apply pressure, but still feel faint so I hop to the door to open it, still bleeding profusely, it's just pouring down my arm.

My pants are at my ankles, when I shout for a nurse and try to kind of bend over awkwardly so as to not flash my booty to the entire waiting room.

The nurse looked at me like I was a crazy person until she noticed my blood-soaked shirt and pants. When I notice someone is actually on their way I let go of my arm for half a second so I could pull my pants up. Blood shot out over the entire door.

...That bathroom looked like a crime scene. And if I wasn't anemic before I sure as hell am now. I can't stop laughing about it, so stupid and so bad all around.

Oh dear! What did they do? Did they give you an explanation? I once got a nurse terribly worried when she removed an IV and blood ran down my arm, and she applied a dressing and everything and blood from my arm was in no way shooting out, it was a trickle. Are you ok now?

Same thing happened to me today, but not as bad. I went to the lab for blood work, then stopped in at a grocery store two blocks away. Suddenly my arm felt wet, so I pushed my sleeve up and there was blood pouring out of my elbow. I applied pressure and just stood there with blood dripping to the floor. A customer went to get the manager, who walked me over to the pharmacy. The pharmacist cleaned me up and put a new bandage on. I've never had anything like that happen before.

Oh dear! What did they do? Did they give you an explanation? I once got a nurse terribly worried when she removed an IV and blood ran down my arm, and she applied a dressing and everything and blood from my arm was in no way shooting out, it was a trickle. Are you ok now?
I think I just got up and moved around too quick. This is par for the course for my veins, if they're not super quick when they take needles out of me, they're getting a blood shower. Usually once it's stopped, it's stopped, but I guess I was walking around flexing my arms too much or something :biggrin:

I'm fine, a little tired. I did lose a decent amount of blood though not enough to warrant a transfusion or anything.

I'm honestly more amused than anything, it was pretty hilarious and horrifying. Hopping around with my pants down in a locked bathroom trying to shrug out of my jacket and not pass out before I could get the door open, just typical me. :p