• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally going to remicade

Well first methotrexate pills didn't work for me switched to injections and that didn't work! After feeling not too good for a while my doctor wanted to start remicade but our insurance was being difficult so we had to do a whole bunch of tests to prove to our insurance that I do need it ,so here I am today getting my first remicade infusion right now I'm so happy to finally have a stronger medicine that has a higher rate of working! Anyone have experience with remicade?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hey Mikey! Hope Remicade works for you...I've been on it for about 10 years and am still doing well.....

Where are you getting your infusions done?

Hope it goes well for you! I did Remicade for a while and it helped my inflammation. Only side effect was feeling sleepy after the infusion (for about 24 hours the first time) but this lessened with each infusion and by about the 4th or 5th went away.

I took infliximab for 2 years and it was great.

When I was diagnosed with Crohn's I had been in the hospital for 3 weeks and was basically a corpse, didn't sleep, didn't eat, excruciating pain, etc.

They gave me infliximab and within 2 hours I was a different person. Went from being in a wheelchair to walking around the halls freely by the end of that day, for all intents and purposes infliximab saved my life.

That being said, it did have some very mild side effects. Every time I took it I would be extremely sleepy and hungry for 1-2 days, but that's about it.

Thank you everyone. I took my first infusion yesterday at upstate medical center in Syracuse NY. It went great. My only question is why they gave me steroids, Tylenol and benodryl before my infusion. I get the benodryl because possible allergic reactions but why Tylenol and steroids(was not prednisone and was put in IV before I got remicade)? But anyways it went great so far my only side effect is that I'm just a little bit tired, but I'm used to that so yeah, goin great so far!

I'm glad it went well.
Your right on the Benadryl ( and maybe the steroid) is to help stay of possible allergic reactions.
The other two is to help stay off possible side effects ( headaches, nausea, fatigue...)
At least this was my understanding when I was told.
But my girl doesn't get the steroid before hand but I know others who do.

I so glad it went well.:ybiggrin:

Glad it went well. My understanding is that is given to prevent an allergic reaction. I guess it depend on your GI if you get premeds or not. My Daughter gets both prior to infusion.