Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Are these side-effects from azathioprine or is it just me??

06-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
crohnie1800

My Support Groups:
Are these side-effects from azathioprine or is it just me??

Hi! I've had Crohn's for 7 years but I was diagnosed really late, at 2013. And I"m from Asia, so it's really rare there. I"ve not been on any treatment before diagnosis. So my case was really really bad..
I've done an IC Resection & anastamosis and was on 1g mesalazine for an year. With 25 mg aza for 6 months and then 50 mg for another year and now im on 75 mg aza only.
I've had some side-effects eversince Ive started the treatment, (Im in remission). They are:
1. increased appetite ( feel hungry all the time! ! ! )
2. Hard time concentrating on things & confusion (even for short periods)
3. Fatigue sometimes
4. Light sensitivity ( I burn really really easily its almost unnatural..also I live practcally under the sun)
5. Occasional joint pains
6. mood swings
7. occasional pimples on upper arm (only right arm. that's so wierd. and the pimples come like, once a month or so and then disappear)
8. hair loss
9. exessive hair growth (not exessive clearly but darker and faster..)
10. change in size and intensity of moles
11. heart palpitations sometimes
12. several lymph nodes around the neck are prominent..ts been years.

are these because of azathioprine? I've heard people having these symptoms but some say ts not common and just let it go. It's annoying when people do that, like, just cx its rare doesnt mean it cant happen, right.

and also what are the risk of :
1 Lymphoma
2 Skin Cancer
3 Bowel Cancer

for me?? Desperately need an answer soon!!!
06-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Tuff

My Support Groups:
I have been on Azathioprine about four years, in combination with other drugs. The only noticeable side effect I've had is light sensitivity, and my white blood cell count dropped. I've had some nasty sunburns. You should cover up and always wear sunscreen. There is a slight increase in the risk of getting skin cancer and lymphoma.
http://www.rheumatology.org/Practice..._%28Imuran%29/

You could discuss with your doctor about lowering the dose, or trying something else, but you don't want to lose your remission either.

Stelara, Warfarin, calcium, Vitamins B12, D.
Previously: 5-Asa, Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Aza, Remicade.
Pulmonary Embolism, DVT's, osteopenia, Peripheral neuropathy.
06-11-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
crohnie1800

My Support Groups:
I have been on Azathioprine about four years, in combination with other drugs. The only noticeable side effect I've had is light sensitivity, and my white blood cell count dropped. I've had some nasty sunburns. You should cover up and always wear sunscreen. There is a slight increase in the risk of getting skin cancer and lymphoma.

You could discuss with your doctor about lowering the dose, or trying something else, but you don't want to lose your remission either.

Thanks! But what about all the other side-effects I listed above???
06-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
Clash
Forum Monitor

Joint pain is an extra intestinal manifestation or EIM of Crohns. Some joint EIMs run concurrently with flares of CD but other joint EIMs flare independently of CD flares.

Light sensitivity occurs due to azathioprine and it is usually recommended that you see a dermatologist for an annual checkup when on immune modulators just to keep an eye on things.

Fatigue is a common issue for some on Aza but coupled with the brain fog and ileocecal resection it would be a good idea to have you vitamin levels checked. Since CD and surgery can lead to malabsoprtion some find they are b12 deficient as well as deficient in other vitamins. This can cause fatigue, heart palpitations, brain fog, hair loss etc.

Also hair loss can sometimes be attributed to Aza.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
06-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
crohnie1800

My Support Groups:
Joint pain is an extra intestinal manifestation or EIM of Crohns. Some joint EIMs run concurrently with flares of CD but other joint EIMs flare independently of CD flares.

Light sensitivity occurs due to azathioprine and it is usually recommended that you see a dermatologist for an annual checkup when on immune modulators just to keep an eye on things.

Fatigue is a common issue for some on Aza but coupled with the brain fog and ileocecal resection it would be a good idea to have you vitamin levels checked. Since CD and surgery can lead to malabsoprtion some find they are b12 deficient as well as deficient in other vitamins. This can cause fatigue, heart palpitations, brain fog, hair loss etc.

Also hair loss can sometimes be attributed to Aza.

Okay, uhm so what about the others?
the appetite, mole prominency, pimples on upper arms and the swollen lymph nodes (these havent disappeared ever since surgery 2 years back)?????

What about those? and I'm currently in remission, so like, there arent any flares so why the joint pain?

and the brain fogging and all that is cause of the Vitamin b12 deficiency? But my HB levels are okay, so how? I'm not anemic, although I feel so sometimes...??

Please answer 'all' my questions I'm dying from desperation over here!!!!
06-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Clash
Forum Monitor

Like I said, joint pain can be an extra intestinal manifestation of Crohns, some types of joint issues will run concurrently(same time as) the CD flares others run independent of CD flares(meaning the joints will flare even when the CD is quiet or not flaring. A rheumatologist will determine this.

Also the dermatologist appt annually is suggested when you are on immune modulators such as Aza so they can check moles and such like pimples(though I'm not sure if the pimples you describe are related to Aza)

Iron deficiency anemia is tied to your HB levels not B12. It is a separate blood test that specifically checks b12 levels. And yes a deficiency in b12 can cause brain fog, fatigue and other symptoms. You can Google b12 deficiency to see all the symptoms not that each person gets all of them when they are deficient.

As far as lymph nodes you need to point this out to your GI or GP and get their opinion. My son had had swollen lymph nodes throughout different phases of his disease process but his is usually reacting to simmering inflammation even though he may not be experiencing CD symptoms.

Bottom line though is that if these things are concerning you then you need to take the list to your doc and go over them with him. Any time you are experiencing symptoms that are causing you stress the best action to take is make a Dr appt since stress can lead to undesirable effects with your crohns disease.
06-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
crohnie1800

My Support Groups:
Like I said, joint pain can be an extra intestinal manifestation of Crohns, some types of joint issues will run concurrently(same time as) the CD flares others run independent of CD flares(meaning the joints will flare even when the CD is quiet or not flaring. A rheumatologist will determine this.

Also the dermatologist appt annually is suggested when you are on immune modulators such as Aza so they can check moles and such like pimples(though I'm not sure if the pimples you describe are related to Aza)

Iron deficiency anemia is tied to your HB levels not B12. It is a separate blood test that specifically checks b12 levels. And yes a deficiency in b12 can cause brain fog, fatigue and other symptoms. You can Google b12 deficiency to see all the symptoms not that each person gets all of them when they are deficient.

As far as lymph nodes you need to point this out to your GI or GP and get their opinion. My son had had swollen lymph nodes throughout different phases of his disease process but his is usually reacting to simmering inflammation even though he may not be experiencing CD symptoms.

Bottom line though is that if these things are concerning you then you need to take the list to your doc and go over them with him. Any time you are experiencing symptoms that are causing you stress the best action to take is make a Dr appt since stress can lead to undesirable effects with your crohns disease.
Thanks so much!
06-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Axelfl3333

You,ll know this but just remember not everything that your feeling could be crohns related,joint pain could be an old injury flaring up and those wonderful leaflets with your meds bring such joy!its a tiny minority of people have reactions but as someone said earlier on the thread speak to your doctor.good luck
06-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
crohnie1800

My Support Groups:
You,ll know this but just remember not everything that your feeling could be crohns related,joint pain could be an old injury flaring up and those wonderful leaflets with your meds bring such joy!its a tiny minority of people have reactions but as someone said earlier on the thread speak to your doctor.good luck
Well, um, I'm pretty sure I never had any injuries like that for the joint pain. I have been observing all my symptoms for a long time and none of them are on other causes, as far as Im concerned. I should talk to my doc, yes. But thanks anyways!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Are these side-effects from azathioprine or is it just me??