• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are these side-effects from azathioprine or is it just me??

Hi! I've had Crohn's for 7 years but I was diagnosed really late, at 2013. And I"m from Asia, so it's really rare there. I"ve not been on any treatment before diagnosis. So my case was really really bad..
I've done an IC Resection & anastamosis and was on 1g mesalazine for an year. With 25 mg aza for 6 months and then 50 mg for another year and now im on 75 mg aza only.
I've had some side-effects eversince Ive started the treatment, (Im in remission). They are:
1. increased appetite ( feel hungry all the time! ! ! )
2. Hard time concentrating on things & confusion (even for short periods)
3. Fatigue sometimes
4. Light sensitivity ( I burn really really easily its almost unnatural..also I live practcally under the sun)
5. Occasional joint pains
6. mood swings
7. occasional pimples on upper arm (only right arm. that's so wierd. and the pimples come like, once a month or so and then disappear)
8. hair loss
9. exessive hair growth (not exessive clearly but darker and faster..)
10. change in size and intensity of moles
11. heart palpitations sometimes
12. several lymph nodes around the neck are prominent..ts been years.

are these because of azathioprine? I've heard people having these symptoms but some say ts not common and just let it go. It's annoying when people do that, like, just cx its rare doesnt mean it cant happen, right.

and also what are the risk of :
1 Lymphoma
2 Skin Cancer
3 Bowel Cancer

for me?? Desperately need an answer soon!!!