• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's, not typhoid...

Hi everyone :)

I've been a bit of a lurker on the site since I was (finally) diagnosed a few months ago but decided today to become official. My story is a little different but still recognizable, I'm sure.

After a trip to Africa in 2010, I found myself in hospital for a week with severe D and crazy-high fevers. The diagnosis was typhoid, because that was much cooler than the boring alternatives. This was unconfirmed but antibiotics made me better so I was sent home.

I started becoming sick almost like clockwork every 3 months or so, always the same symptoms; severe D, crazy fevers and aches and pains. Then eventually I became sick for 6 months straight, dropping a lot of weight (yay!) and becoming bone-wearily fatigued (boo!). Eventually, my childhood GP said "Crohn's". One gastro- and colonoscopy later, and my ulcers, but not my bloodwork, confirmed it. So, not typhoid 5 years ago, but always crohn's.

The fatigue is still the worst part as my D is mostly managed. Tried FODMAP diet for 6 weeks and no joy there...at all. Nearly gave up my career but am getting back on track now. I take clopamon to help me eat and amitriptyline to help me sleep and that's been amazing. And now I figure it out as I go along... :poo:

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community. As araceli alluded to, anytime we hear, "Crohn's" and"fatigue" the first thing we think about is vitamin B12 level. B12 deficiency is EXTREMELY common in people with Crohn's and fatigue is one of the most common symptoms. Have you had your level tested? If not, get it done! Because if that's the issue, it's an easy fix that results in much improved quality of life.

Hi guys!
Thanks for the heads up about B12. We did consider that but blood work is all normal. I think 'normal' is relative, though ;)
I'm actually Australian and we get a lot of B12 from Vegemite. I do find I crave it more so maybe that's helping. Testing for it is part of my regular blood work anyhow.
Cheers!