Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Mouth » White tongue and chapped lips...dehydration?

06-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
teeny5

My Support Groups:
White tongue and chapped lips...dehydration?

For as long as I can remember I have always had a white tongue, whiter than other people's. No itching, white in center with normal pink/red on edges. I don't think it is thrush...not so much chunky or thick white stuff, just a layer off white that doesn't seem to ever come off and nowhere else in the mouth.

Was wondering if anyone else has this and if it's related to dehydration? I am thinking dehydration because I ALWAYS have chapped lips! No matter how much water I drink I still have chapped, dry lips.

Anyway...just wondering what your thoughts or experiences are.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
06-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
D Bergy

This may seem kind of dumb, but it worked for me. I had chapped lips when I was a young kid. My uncle saw me using chap stick and he asked me why I was using it. I said I had chapped lips, which I did and always had in the past. He told me to stop licking my lips and the chapped lips would go away. I did what he said and I have never had chapped lips for over 40 years.

I was severely dehydrated a while back when I had fistulas and infections. The home care nurse told me I would die of a heart attack if I did not get some fluids in me. My resting pulse was about 160 at that time. I believed her, and got some saline put into me a couple of times. The point being even though I was that dehydrated, I still did not have chapped lips.

Try taking a spoon full of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around for about five or ten minutes a day. Then spit it out. If it is a fungus such as candida, thrush, whatever, the coconut oil should slowly kill it off.

Dan
06-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Thanks! I will try the coconut oil for sure!

I do lick my lips a lot, but gloss seems to stop me from doing it so much so I always have gloss, chapstick, or something on hand. Not sure how else to remedy that bad habit.
06-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #4
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Have you talked to your doctor about your mouth?
I had thrush last week on my tongue. It didn't look like what I knew to be thrush, but I did a Google image search and eventually found a tongue that looked like mine. You can post pictures here if you ate comfortable doing that. Good luck I hope it gets better
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
06-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I have an upcoming appt so I was going to ask him then. Didn't really ever think about it being different, and then saw an article about how your tongue can sometimes indicate issues. Of course that got me thinking about it...probably a little too much lol.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Mouth » White tongue and chapped lips...dehydration?