• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

JP drain and BM pain? any experience with this?

Hi.

I had a colectomy early this month, they took about 2 feet. Everything was healing well until I noticed a fever. Turns out I developed an abscess.

They put in a JP drain. The doctor said sometimes I could feel discomfort with the tube in there, but that hasn't been bad. The output went from good to brown and smelly. The doctor put me on aaugmentin and flagyl.

Monday will be a week and it still smells bad. But the question I have is about BMs. When I'm about to have a BM, my stomach starts to feel uncomfortable, presumably in my intestines. Is this just a normal aspect of my BMs going past an active abscess? There's already been two set backs in my recovery and I'm worried this could mean something bad.

Have you had any experiences with a JP drain and infection like this? Could you describe your experiences a little? I'm paranoid. Thank you