• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Onset and Duration of Effects/Side Effects?

I had my first remicade infusion yesterday July 8. (the experience was actually not at all bad, my infusion nurse rocks, my biggest complaint was being stiff from being in the chair for so long). I was dosed with 650 mg tylenol (i still dont quite know why) and 1 benadryl pill (that i know why). I did fine, drove myself to pick up my kids, and drove back home. ordered some dinner. and then WHAM. Tired hit, like a ton of bricks. I spent last night and most of today barely moving and doing as little as possible as I felt like I was walking through quicksand.
Is this a common thing?

Also, placebo effect, or just a good day, or what, i dont know but today i had the first time in a long time where there was no blood in the toilet.... loose yes, but not bloody. Is that possible that quickly?

I started on Remicade a year ago, and it worked fast. It took only 11 days for my fistulas to stop draining, and they closed in a month. When I first started, I felt very energetic afterwards. Nowadays it makes me sleepy. I have my appointment in the morning, so that I can go home and sleep for the afternoon. I had my last infusion on Wednesday, and I still feel a bit tired. It's my magic medicine, I got my life back. I hope it works for you as well.

I started on Remicade a year ago, and it worked fast. It took only 11 days for my fistulas to stop draining, and they closed in a month. When I first started, I felt very energetic afterwards. Nowadays it makes me sleepy. I have my appointment in the morning, so that I can go home and sleep for the afternoon. I had my last infusion on Wednesday, and I still feel a bit tired. It's my magic medicine, I got my life back. I hope it works for you as well.
If the last 2 days are an indication, it makes me sleepy yes but thats a small price to pay for feeling more like "myself" if that makes sense today once that wore off, and while I still get loose BMs they arent quite as frequent, and little or no blood in the bowl so if this is going to be what it does, im actually hopeful for the first time in months. :dusty:

Hi aideen33,

I had my last loading dose on August 20th and I asked the nurse, at one point will I get my energy back? Well, most people on Remicade have the same complaint so she told me to let my doctor know. I see him on the 15th! I will say it's great for my other symptoms so I will not complain! I would like to get back to walking 3-5 miles a day! For now, I struggle to work 40 hours! I take vitamins and eat healthy, but energy is at 0!

Good luck on the Remicade, I love it!

Bufford

Going in for my 3rd infusion tomorrow, I was very tired after my first two infusions and did little for the first couple of days, but tiredness improved after that. However, I do get abdominal pain, some soarness in my fistulas and my blood pressure spiked for the first couple of weeks after the 2nd infusion. Things have settled down in the past couple of weeks. Got to give it a good try, it works well for many. Time will tell, already I have less blood loss, perhaps it is kicking in.

I was always useless on the day of my infusion, a bit dopey the day after, and then energy basically back to normal.