Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Undiagnosed Club » Hello and anyone had similar symptoms?

07-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
ElenaP

Hello and anyone had similar symptoms?

Hello there

I came across these forums while I was doing some research online for low residue diet. I found a few things that made me wonder if any of what I am experiencing is familiar to anyone else...

I have a lump in my abdomen, in the middle above my tummy button - I think possibly in my transverse colon? When it is very large it causes my abdominal aorta to pump like crazy. My gastro consultant said it was just stool, which I could see because I am thin. I've always been this size but never had the lump before?

Anyway, I have noticed that things get much worse when I eat high fibre foods. The lump gets huge, I bloat massively and become constipated. I have very loud tummy noises around the area of the lump, particularly after eating and sometimes when I press on the lump the noises increase and I can release wind.

I seem to be able to control things by eating a very low fibre diet but this doesn't seem to be the sensible thing to do long term. I wondered if I might have some kind of stricture or narrowing of the bowel in this area, which gets itself in a bite of a state if my BM are bulked up with fibre and find it hard to pass?

Whenever I have raised this medically, I get told I'm constipated and prescribed laxatives, which I have duly taken. But they don't help and give me such terrible pain that I have to stop taking them.

The lump is still there but much smaller when I'm not eating fibre and the bloating is massively reduced. I also have regular (daily) BM with no straining so really don't believe I'm constipated.

Sound familiar to anyone? Or does anyone have any thoughts on a long term low fibre diet?

Thank you
07-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I think if low fibre helps then you should stick with it. And as far as I know it should be ok long term, but as I am sure you know it is not terribly healthy.

I personally did it for while when first diagnosed but added in juicing to get my friuit and veg in (home made not bottled rubbish) . You can also try soups of well cooked vegetables to make them easier to digest.

Hope you get sorted soon though sounds awful. Don't be afraid to keep going back to the doctors, it can take a while to get diagnosed.
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
07-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
ElenaP

Thanks BeachBum. My concern was that it's not terribly healthy to have such a low fibre diet but I feel so much better for doing so! I will give smoothies a whirl - hadn't realised they would be acceptable

I've had such a torrid time with the medical profession that I'm afraid I've gone into self-management mode. But I've recently changed GP practice after a particularly shocking experience, so maybe I should bring this up with my new GP.
07-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Yeah , don't give up , if you know you are unwell. Try juicing rather than smoothies though as it takes all of the fiber out. Give it a google.
07-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I had a lump like that...it was where my colon was very inflamed (found this out from the colonoscopy). I had described it to my GI as feeling like a sausage under my skin.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Undiagnosed Club » Hello and anyone had similar symptoms?