Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Hi Folks - My Story

07-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Janice G

Hi Folks - My Story

Hi: My name is Janice and I have had Crohn's since I was a child but was not diagnosed until I was 30; I am now in my 60's.

In 1985 I moved to the west coast and started investigating the use of food and supplements to address my IBD. Being a rather stubborn type of person, and one who 'listened to my gut', I refused to take the medications prescribed as I felt there had to be a better way of doing this. I stopped weighing myself at 90lbs.

That decision lead me on a lifelong journey of living with Crohn's, using probiotics when no one knew what they were and changing my diet from a meat and potatoes person to being a vegan.

All of this helped and fortunately I have kept all my organs. It does not mean that I was cured, but it allowed me to have some kind of control over this disease

Crohn's has been a struggle. Like you, my life has revolved around the disease. I did find a medication (Librax) which has helped me through the bad attacks. It is an old medication now starting to be re-recognized for Crohn's sufferers. Between that and diet I have been able to stay away from other meds.

At the age of 45 I had a hysterectomy which helped not only with the pressure on the bowels but it also eliminated the estrogen surges. For years I questioned whether estrogen affected Crohn's; it is only now that doctors are factoring estrogen into the equation for women.

A car accident resulted in the development of fibromyalgia (FM). I don't know which is worse, Crohn's or FM. The FM affects the Crohn's considerably and though I experienced many periods of remission from the Crohn's, the combination of the two is, unfortunately, a tremendous challenge.

I am so glad people are talking about inflammatory bowel diseases now. For years I did not disclose this to anyone. When I started investigating the subject of Crohn's in the 80's, I gradually started talking to people. My opinion is there are more people today suffering from this disease than before.

My heart goes out to all of you fighting this battle. Many of you do not have support from spouses or family and some of the doctors you have to deal with. I certainly know what it is like to be in such pain and knowing you just have to ride the storm. I am just coming out of a 5 day battle and actually saw some colour in my face last night, a nice contrast to the grey I've been showing for the past week or so. Its a humbling reminder to give thanks for the good days.

It has taken me 15 years to come up with a motto for FM, which is: I do what I can, when I can and how I can. This motto also applies to Crohn's/IBD. More importantly, always try to keep a sense of humour!

Nice to join your group.
07-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum Janice!

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
07-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Janice G

Thanks teeny5 for the 'welcome'.

Since you've been participating in this forum for a long time, can you recommend any submissions on (or how does one do a search for) medical marijuana for Crohn's? I have a friend who has severe Crohn's and I am trying to research this for her.

Any ideas?
07-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Hello and welcome Janice. If you type medical marijuana into the search box at the top of the page,you'll get lots of input.....hope today's a "good"day for you.
07-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Janice G

Thanks Scottsma for the info and instructions. I'm technology challenged in my old age!
Have found some good info and will continue to read what others have said.
Starting to see the light today...I liken my lifestyle to a rubber ball..keep bouncing back!
Cheers and hope you're day is good!
07-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Janice G

PS: This is a terrific forum. How does a person who has no computer access it?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Hi Folks - My Story