• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lower than average albumin

Hi there,

I'm just waiting to hear back from the pathologist with the results of the samples taken during my colonoscopy and endoscopy, but I also had a below average albumin result show up in my regular b/w. Did anyone else have this?

Yeah I usually have low albumin. However I had blood tests that showed my albumin was 7 when it's meant to be about 45!! The GI missed this so I ended up getting emergency surgery. When my albumin was just a little low at 30/35 I don't think this was a problem.

Yeah I've had this.

My GI made me understand that a high amount of protein in the blood, albumin, is good, as when the disease is active, the protein in the blood is drawn into the ulcers in the gut, and this is why levels fall.