Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Happy to see I'm not alone............

07-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Petra

Happy to see I'm not alone............

I'm still navigating through this forum and probably will do for a while, so might not be posting that much. I have a lot of reading to do.
I was very happy finding this thread and that there is also a lot of interest and knowledge in Alternative medicine.
When I just arrived on here I was afraid that I would not fit in as so many of you are on synthetic meds. I only ever took some (can't even remember the name it's that long ago) for about 10 months, but the side effects made me decide against taking them any longer. I felt I was trading one illness for another.
I already had an interest in Alternative medicine many many years ago, and it just became more intense over the years.

I'm at this point going back on some kind of a new regime for myself, after neglecting myself for quite a while and putting other peoples issues before mine. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but now it's time for me. I'm making it a high priority.
So I have ordered more supplements yesterday and will start a diet again tomorrow. I had followed the Specific carbohydrate diet religiously for over a year and had very good results. Then temptation got the better of me. I had fallen off the wagon so to speak regarding my diet and supplements for a variety of reason, but it's time I pull myself together again and get back on the horse.

I get most of my supplements via Luxe BC. They have a lot of choice.

The supplements I have for myself are:
Vitamin D3
Resveratrol
Ginger
Oregano
Methyl B12
Folate
Magnesium – Potassium
Omega 3
Astaxanthin
Curcumin
Goji berry
Pro biotics
L- Glutamine (also not tested properly yet. Took some but not regular enough to see if it worked for me)

And recently I also bought Inflama-Care, which is a Turmeric/Boswellia complex. Not had time to test it properly, but when I have I will let you know how I got on.

Last edited by Lisa; 07-21-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Removed links/reference to questionable website(s)
07-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Great info you shared here. Glad that you have found an alternative treatment plan that works for you. I was always one to not take a lot of meds, didn't believe in people taking antibiotics for everything and constant medication. I was and am rarely ever sick. No colds, no flu...only allergies. My whole world changed when Crohn's came along. I do take some supplements and did opt for supplements rather than fertility drugs when we were trying to conceive. When I had gotten so sick and was in a ton of pain I would have taken anything to make it go away. I am fortunate to be in remission now, and though I am interested in supplements to support my treatment I am fearful to abandon my regular medication.

Do you work with a medical Dr or holistic practitioner on what to take or is it all your own research?

Keep sharing your experiences with supplements. I believe this disease is so complex that fighting it from multiple angles could be the way to go.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
07-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Petra

It's all my own research. My interest in Vitamins and Supplements started when my dad was terminally ill with cancer over 25 years ago. It's one of those things that when you have nothing to loose you will try anything................
From then on I started researching Homeopathy, Herbalism, Aromatherapy, Acupuncture and looked in all kinds of alternative treatments. Wanted to become a Homeopath when I was still living in Holland, still have the study books, but I moved to the UK and plans changed.

So when my GP's let me down all those years ago, misdiagnosed me and told me I had to learn to live with it (whatever IT was) I automatically started a search for my own “cure”. Thank god I now have access to so much more information. In the past I bought book after book to gain some insight.
Alternative medicine has come a long way. When you look on Greenmedinfo you can see how much research is being done in that field. There is so much out there which could help alleviate illnesses.
My main reason for preferring Alternative meds is that there are very little or no side effects. With the Conventional meds we often need even more pills to counteracts those.

I know it's not for every one and if you have some meds that work for you then I would always say leave well alone. I would never advise anyone to change something that helps them. The aim is to feel good or at least better. The how doesn't matter.
I do believe that supporting our own immune system might be the biggest key in healing, whatever we are trying to heal.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Happy to see I'm not alone............