Share Facebook

07-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
mamalana

My Support Groups:
Blood work and Imuran

How often should we be having lab work done when taking Imuran? I began taking it in April and doc added Humira in May. He has yet to order labs to check levels. Is this ok?

Dx Crohn's 2014

Current Rx:
Remicade (starting 2/16/16), Imuran, Celebrex, Flovent (for EoE), Singulair

Previous Rx:
Prednisone (pure evil), Budesonide (bad reaction), Prilosec, Bentyl, Protonix, Cimzia (failed after 4 months), Humira (failed after 7 months)
07-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Haven't you had any blood tests since starting aza?

Usually the blood tests are weekly for six weeks, then they more to fortnightly and all going well finially every 3 months
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
07-20-2015, 05:46 AM   #3
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
Been a long time since I was on it, but what Catherine said rings a bell! I think I did weekly for a while, then biweekly and then month, finally moving to every three months. You should definitely be having regular blood work. All your doctor!

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Entyvio every 8 weeks, Imuran 50 mg, Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg twice a day
Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone
07-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I started off with weekly blood work, then monthly. Now I go every 8 weeks.
This is over a span of 2 years.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
07-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
DustyKat
Super Moderator

The regimen Catherine has quoted for routine bloods is pretty stock standard for the commencement of Imuran. It will eventually lengthen to 3 monthly and I would not leave the interval any longer than this. Thiopurine metabolites is more discretionary and in our case with stable results the GI would normally order 6-12 monthly.

I see you also asked about Humira. In your case the fact that you have just commenced Imuran would override the normal monitoring regimen of Humira as Imuran has more rigorous requirements. Just as a comparison though, my son has been on Imuran for a few years and commenced Humira 3 weeks ago so in his case the Humira regimen is what we are following. He has just completed his loading doses and is due to have bloods this week, so 3 weeks in. He is then set down to have bloods again in 6 weeks time. Assuming all goes well he will then return to his 3 monthly cycle.

Dusty. xxx
07-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
mamalana

My Support Groups:
Thank you everyone! It sounds like I should call to see why labs haven't been ordered.😕
07-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
mamalana

My Support Groups:
So I finally spoke with the nurses and they said the doc has been just using my labs from an Iron Infusion study I've been participating in (weekly labs) instead of making me have more blood drawn and me having to pay additional co-pays. Whew! Doc said my levels are great!
07-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear that.