• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Naprogesic?? question for the aussie/nz ladies.

I've read similar threads asking about period pain, but they only mention American medications. Is Naprogesic safe? Or can someone suggest an alternative Australian medication?

Cheers,
CC

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hi CC
I googled it to see what it is in America. It has Naproxen as the active ingredient. Over here that is sold under the name Alieve. My GI here recommend Tylenol for pain relief, other NSAIDS(Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aspirin) can be associated with stomach irritation and bleeding. (I would ask your doctor to make sure it's okay.)

Most of the risks are associated with prolonge usage. If you only use it occasionally you probably would be fine as long as you don't have any bleeding associated with your disease.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for that, much relief as I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the day of or day after the start of my period (the 7th aus time) so I will be in so much pain during the laxative process tomorrow with the added stress of a period:( I hope a period is not an issue during a colonoscopy.

NO NSAIDS! I'm just saying they are bad bad bad for us. They are processed in the stomach whereas the others are processed in the liver. I took some Aleve and I think that's what started my last flare.

I've been told only Tylenol (paracetamol) (Panadol)

Oh and I was on my period for my last colonoscopy I just threw a tampon in and it was fine... no probs. The colonoscopy only lasts for 20-45 minutes anyhow so it should be alright.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Chrohn's Chick said:
Thanks so much for that, much relief as I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the day of or day after the start of my period (the 7th aus time) so I will be in so much pain during the laxative process tomorrow with the added stress of a period:( I hope a period is not an issue during a colonoscopy.
Before my colonoscopy in July, they specifically said to only take Tylenol, no Ibuprofen or Naproxen.

Hiya, I only use paracetamol for pain and really only use it currently about once every few eeeks.

As for the colonoscopy - I had my period for my prep and the exam and it wasn't an issue. Felt rotten anyway so I didn;t notice any worse!

Good luck with the colonoscopy and let us know how it goes :)