• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need to hear others have gone through this...

I'm week three after colonoscopy and crohns diagnosis. I'm on asacol and prednisone. Prednisone for a week and was just bumped up from 30mg to 40mg daily.

I'm weak still. I only have 1-3 movements a day b but they are watery and usually contain blood. Three times - this morning being the most recent- I've had movements that end in a pouring out of blood. A lot of blood. Then I'm very weak for some time.

My gi sent this to me yesterday, but I don't even know what it means:

"the ongoing diarrhea could be due to sub optimal controlled colitis versus superimposed infection. Please increased prednisone to 8 pills per day, ie. 40mg daily. Please do stool testing to rule out C. difficile. 2 Requisitions attached."

Anyway, I'm sitting here at work,weak and confused, pretending to work.

I'd just like to hear a bunch of people say "yeah.. I was exactly like that.. It took a few weeks then I was fine.." Or something like that because this is destroying me.

Thanks

Chris

This happened to me two months ago and I tested positive for a c-diff infection which in turn caused a severe crohns flare up..

SarahBear

The doctor's note essentially says that the diarrhea / blood you're experiencing could be caused by an infection, possibly c.diff so they want to test for that. One would they think could have phrased it a bit more simply, but who knows. :p

If you do have c.diff then diagnosing and treating it will of course make a huge difference in your health. You'll still be dealing with the Crohn's, but it'll be much easier to deal with one thing rather than two.

If it isn't c.diff, you may simply need to switch the Asacol for a different med. Some people have to try a few (or even a combination or two) before they find what works for them.

Were you having blood in your stool pre-diagnosis?

My stool was always an orange color prior to the scope. No noticable blood. Now it's ridiculous and just pours out. Weakens the heck out of me when it does too.
I'm on day three of 40mg prednisone and still no change. Maybe there shouldn't be.

Chris

I'm on my 8th week of doing the Humira pen shots. I've had severe ulcter colits for 20 years. I've tried everything that's the lastest and greatest. . I've come to the realization that I'll never be cured. One thing that did help me was vittiam B-12 lossenges or liquid I hold under my tongue and then swollow. All these years and it took a friend to tell me this. The Humira pen shots have helped but have caused extreme tiredness. So we march on and don't give up. 👊🏻