• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's with past fistula possible c section

hello everyone,
I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and had consulted with my ob that I should have a c section due to my past history of having a fistula in 2012, which is now healed. I'm starting to reconsider and would like to avoid having surgery if possible. I am on Humira and in remission (as I just had a colonoscopy in March). Most of my Crohns effects my rectum though and I will be seeing my gastroenterologist in a couple weeks to see how he feels about the possibility of vaginal birth. Anyone else with any similar experiences?
Thanks!

I have similar experience. I have perianal disease with fistulas and was able to have a vaginal birth. I actually had a great pregnancy and fairly easy delivery. I had a high risk OB who was familiar with IBD. My GI also agreed that a vaginal delivery was fine.

I was VERY afraid of tearing and aggravating things, but had no trouble, and only a very slight tear up the front.

I would like speak to your OB, explain that you would like to try for a vaginal delivery and see what they say.