• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possible Crohns diagnosis

Hello all, I'm new to this site but I'm looking for some advise

I've been having symptoms of ibd for over 2 years now, I've had colonoscopy with biopsies which we're normal, ct scan, endoscopy, white cell scan along with other various test, all which have come back normal...

I have been admitted into hospital 6 times now due to the symptoms especially the pain from my stomach which is unbearable. They have even removed my appendix last year but that showed up as scar tissue when it was sent to the lab.

On recent admission my inflammatory blood markers were significantly raised, ct scan showed thinkning lining of the bowel, so they performed colonoscopy again which has showed red patched and ulcers by the terminal ileum they have taken biopsies of which I am awaiting results.

Does this sound like they have finally found Crohn's disease??

I would be greatful for your input

Many thanks

Hi Cbanner,
sorry to hear what you had to go through. Sometimes Crohn's can be really hard to diagnose, sometimes the biopsy tests come back normal, years later, they don't etc.
A lining thickening in the terminal ileum sounds like Crohn's but there are also infectious inflammatory reactions that show up as inflammation in the terminal ileum.
Good luck and keep us posted if you like!

fuzzy butterfly

Hi cbanner, im afraid Charlotte is right it can very hard to diagnose crohn's, it sounds as if it could be, but i cant say for sure of course,( not a doctor ). but keep trying to get an anwser by doing what you need to find out just what is the problem, hope you find out soon, best wishes,,:ghug:

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated, they have started me on a low dose of steroids for 3 months at the moment to see if it helps with symptoms, still no results from biopsies yet though, so I'm not sure if they believe that it is IBD just waiting for conformation. Has anyone else been given steroids but not been diagnosed? I just believe that they would only prescribe steroids if they have a diagnosis?

Yes, I have been given steroids before my final results came back. They did help instantly which was another hint (but mine was not low dose).
Seems as if your doctors believe that it should be an inflammatory disease, so steroids should help with that.

I have got the biopsy results back. It states that there is active chronic inflammation in the terminal ielium and it states active chronic ileitis keeping with Crohn's disease, I still have to await appointment with gastroenterologist, does this suggest to people that it is crohns?

Certainly sounds like it. The Terminal Ileum is the most common place for Crohns to attack. Sounds the same as me.

Good luck, and I hope the NHS don't keep you waiting too long.

Hello there. I am also waiting for my results from my Colonoscopy but I have been referred straight to a surgeon without knowing what the results are. My GI and my family doctor have not discussed anything with me as of now.

I hope you find a diagnosis. Dealing with so many doctors can be the most frustrating thing!

I seen my consultant who did diagnose Crohn's disease, since then he has changed my medication from budesonide to prednisolone. He also started me on azathioprine which I reacted too so now trying mercaptopurine which again they believe could be causing liver damage since having blood test. Also I've got an endoscopy booked for Tuesday as he believes the crohns could also be up further

Saxon I really hope you get sorted out very soon it is frustrating and it always feels like your getting no where, keep us posted, all the best