• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food Plan for Crohn's

I just posted an Indian Food Plan for Crohn's on Indian Local Support group. But I would also love to post a modified version of the Food Plan for my friends in Western Hemisphere.

Though there's tons of information and recommendations available on Internet, I personally follow this food plan which has helped me immensely in maintaining my good health and would like to share with you all, you never know if it can help someone out there...

With Crohn's you have to be very alert in what's going inside your stomach and whether it can harm you or not. Next time you are eating something just give a good look at it and ask yourself if it's going to be good for you or not.

I was able to gain and maintain weight,hemoglobin, protein intake, calcium and all other useful nutrients and maintain my energy levels.

This food plan has worked out for me doesn't mean it will work out for you.

If you like it and would like to follow first PLEASE get in touch with your doctor and let him about it and only when he gives a green signal you can follow it.

So here it is...

1.Go for your traditional food

When I say this, you might think that your traditional food would further deteriorate your situation. Well you only have to cook or ask for mild spiced meal with less salt, less oil, and yes less red chili (Cayenne).

2.Breakfast and Snacks in afternoon is a must.

3.Stool Softner should be used which puts less pressure on the walls of the rectum.

4.Drink a good amount of water between 1.5 to 2 liters which not only helps in digestion but will also clean your intestines.

5.Avoid Coffee/Tea/Soft-drinks/Hard-drinks- most of these are acidic and are not going to do anything good to you. Remember your intestines are delicate now and you need to put less pressure on them.

7. Try to eat at least 3 eggs a day- This will make sure you are getting your daily dose of protein. Additionally protein helps in restructuring tissues plus helps in stopping pus. When I say eggs it doesn't mean you can eat spicy egg omelette or egg rice or egg biryani NO absolutely not just plain water boiled soft eggs.

8.Eat Soya chunks or drink soya milk if you like and can digest, a good source of plant protein.

9.Avoid Corn products if possible.

10.Avoid Beans of any kind like Garbanzo/Bengal Gram - if possible

Sample Meal Plan for a light weight person.​

Pre-Breakfast (6 to 7AM) - 1 glass warm Lemon Honey Water to detoxify and helps in purifying blood.

30 min gap

Breakfast: ( 8 to 9 AM) - 1 soft boiled egg, 3 cashews,3 almonds, 5 black raisins soaked in water overnight, 2 dates, 1 cup milk (if you have problem digesting dilute with water), Mango, Papaya, Boiled Apple, Oats. This breakfast is loaded with brain nutrients which will kick start your day as well as food that puts less pressure on your intestines to digest.

Lunch: (12 to 1 PM) Traditional food- Wheat Tortilla, lightly spiced lentils, vegetables (try to avoid potatoes, rice, eggplant) go for pureed spinach, beetroot, okra, cauliflower, cabbage, soyachunks, 1 cup of sweet yogurt. Keep your lunch light, do not fill your stomach till neck.

Post Lunch Snacks ( 4 to 5 PM) : 1 soft boiled egg, 3 cashews, 3 almonds soaked in water overnight, 1 cup milk, fruits (boiled apple, pomegranate, papaya, banana) or fruit juice or vegetables juice.

Dinner ( 8 to 8:30 PM) : Same as lunch.

Post Dinner ( 9 to 10 PM) 1 egg, 1 cup milk.

As you can see it's vegetarian as I am a vegetarian. I don't have much knowledge about meat stuff so I wont be able to guide you in that direction.

I tried to make food plan nutritious so that I can get iron, vitamins, minerals, protein. I followed this for 5 months and it helped me getting back to my routine.

Plus if any food causes you indigestion stop it right away and note it down in your notebook. Keeping a notebook and writing down what food is good and what not will help you a lot when you travel or go outside.

Again Thank You for taking your time out and reading this article.
And Keep Smiling...

Yours

Harshad