• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula and abdo sinus

Hi all - I had crowns inmy large bowel and had an ileo stop my 30 years ago. I've been pretty good bowel wise since. In January of this year I had a hysterectomy and part of the bowel split, I was in hospital for 3 months. As a result of the surgery I have now developed a vsginal fistula and 2 sinus holes on my scar. They seep and I cover then with gauze pads. I have some seepage down below . Problem is it makes me so depressed - I'm sure like all of us - they are not good things to deal with but I know it could be so much worse. They are hoping the fistula will heal - thing is poo does t come out just like a beige liquid no smell - surgeon says it's linked to an area of inflamed gut ( not Crohn's though) and hopefully it will heal.
Sorry for long post just wanted to share with people who understand.
Thanks for listening xx

fuzzy butterfly

Hi worrywart. Iv not had fistulas but did have a post op sinus on my scar. Due to an internal stitch not dissolving. My surgeon did a minor surgical repair on it (day case) and its been fine since.
Best wishes 💕

Thanks Mandy. The things is I'm not 100% sire it is a fistula. That's said there is obviously something going on. They refer to it as a sinus but some doctors say if it was a sinus it would have healed by now. what problems did your sinus cause - did it weep, did yu have to wear dressings?
I think there is a tiny connection with my bowel, sometimes bits come out which look very suspicious ie seed, herb or something. No one believes me though as there is no evidence of a connection on the CT. it's a mystery, all I know it has made me very unhappy over the past year - I went in for a hysterectomy and came out with more problems than I went in for! Thanks for your input though - be interested to know how your sinus behaved on a daily basis xx

fuzzy butterfly

Hi mine was very small like the size of the push down top of a pen. Apperently caused by a stitch not disolving internaly. It just wouldnt heal n wept a bit but not much. I used to put a dressing on it. Till i showed my nurse n she got on to my surgeon . He then did the minor op to put it right. Which for me was to open the scar a bit remove the stitch an re stitch the suface skin. All fine since then. Im not sure if all sinus's are the same mind you. Hope this is usefull..💕