• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High ALT levels

alanine aminotransferase (ALT). Mine have been high the past year. Levels have been between 45-90 over about 9 blood tests and last one was 50. So nothing too extreme but it's still high.. What can I do for this? I'm on humira, salofalk and somac. everything else on my blood test is normal.

I think the elevated liver enzymes are a side effect of the salofalk. I had to look that up because it goes by the name mesalamine here. I had to take a drug that caused something similar. My doctor was watching it, and I came off that drug eventually.

I'd just make sure the doctor is paying attention. I wouldn't self-medicate. This is your liver we're talking about, so ask before you take anything else.