Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 16 & Living with Crohn's in Japan

08-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
nngbrn

16 & Living with Crohn's in Japan

It's weird to think how long I've been dealing with Crohn's way before I was diagnosed.

I remember having all these intense pains starting in 2014 when I was 15. I kept thinking, maybe all the junk food I've been eating has finally caught up with me. I started to get used to the pain & held in my urge to go to the bathroom all the time.

I was dealing with the pain everyday after every meal to the point where it drove me crazy. I started thinking that maybe something was wrong, so I googled my symptoms. I started to think maybe I did have a type of IBD. I told my father, who seemed very concerned, but couldn't do anything due to his busy schedule at work. I told my mother, but she told me to "not self-diagnose myself" and to not believe everything I looked up on google.

I went to two different doctors and they misdiagnosed my condition as constipation or some really bad acid reflex thing. I went to a third one, an OBGYN doctor, and he was a miracle. He managed to spot certain symptoms that the other doctors failed to notice. I was then recommended to my current doctor who diagnosed me with Crohn's disease.

Few CT scans, a barium test, & an MRI later, I was finally diagnosed in January 2015, just weeks after my 16th birthday. I wanted to cry at the news because I was right all along, and I had suffered to the point where I had to be hospitalized for 10 days. I had an ulcer & was internally bleeding since the inflammation was that bad. I also had anemia.

At the hospital, they tried to hook up an IV. But it hurt so much so I had to take these little steroid pills everyday. I couldn't eat anything but soup, liquefied rice, and jello. It was miserable.

One day, I had to take 4 shots of Humira. Another day, I had to do a colonoscopy. I was given a shot to knock me out, so I don't remember anything but being loopy when I woke up.

3 days before my release, I was able to eat semi-regular food. It was the happiest sensation I've ever had in the world, and the food just tasted like heaven to me.

I was super happy to be released in February. The feeling was so indescribable. I had to take lots of medication, and I still get Humira shots every other week.

Thank you for taking the time to read the story of a 16 year old living in Japan!
08-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Hello nngbrn and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you finally got a diagnosis and are receiving treatment. How have you been since you started on Humira?

We have a section for teens here if you're interested in meeting other teens: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
08-22-2015, 01:52 AM   #3
nngbrn

Hello nngbrn and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you finally got a diagnosis and are receiving treatment. How have you been since you started on Humira?
Thank you so much for recommending a place just for teens!

Humira has honestly been a miracle for me. I get pains only when I eat obviously triggering foods, but other than that, I feel amazing. I have my own pain medicine to go along with Humira whenever my stomach is hurting.
08-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
araceli
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello nngbrn. Welcome to the Forum. I am glad Humira is working for you.
Current meds.
Remicade since Nov. 2012
Supplements
5000 Vit. D, Multi-Vitamins with Iron
Currently in REMISSION :dance

Mom/ 16 boy
Amplified musculoskeletal pain
Prior. Prednisone, sulfasadine,
Currently. Celebrex, gabapentin, amitriptyline.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 16 & Living with Crohn's in Japan