• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira not working?

I've been on Humira since February, and it would work for a week but then slowly wear off, in May my injections were bumped up to once a week and that helped for about a month. Now, when inject Humira on Wednesday, I'll feel terrible by Friday. I had blood work done and my crp is normal and according to prometheus labs I have a sufficient amount in my system, but I can tell I'm having a bit of a flare. I'm once again having fevers, the fatigue is back, the gas is back, etc. The doctor seemed convinced that it's related to nerve issues from the previous inflammation, but I really think it's the humira. I normally inject it into my left and right thighs, perhaps I could try the stomach? I also take 100mg of Imuran which doesn't seem to help with effectiveness.

Last edited:
Hi T990, I don't think it makes any difference injecting into the stomach or the thigh, it's in your body tissue, that's what counts. I'm sorry you don't have the expected relief. Even when I flare (like now), my CRP is normal, by blood results look like those of a completely healthy person, but the MRI of my intestines and my joints say something else, which is surprising to some doctors I saw in the past but which is not surprising to other doctors (where I am now). My GI knows that CRP and inflammation does not necessarily correlate and for some people it can be normal within a really bad flare-up as well.
So, probably the Humira is not working enough but also keep in mind that it does not prevent flare-ups. You can always have flare-ups while on anti-tnf and could need some pred for a short period of time.
Maybe you should talk to your doc again or also see another doc to have a second opinion on the current situation?

I'm definitely going to contact the clinic next week and see if I can get another opinion. It's frustrating when I know for a fact when I'm having a flare, yet they need visual proof which may not be possible.

I feel for you, that's indeed frustrating. I'm quite happy that my GI relies more on what the ibd patients are telling than what a scope shows etc. but I also heard of friends having ibd whose doc says: "Well, you are totally fine, it's just ibs in addition. Don't stress so much" and so on. It also depends on what the GI beliefs in.

That's exactly what happened this past week, I had to see a new ibd doctor in the clinic who put "IBS" on top of crohn's on my diagnosis sheet which is ridiculous. I hope they'll listen when I contact them next week, if not I don't know what my next step should be.

my little penguin

Staff member
Sometimes humira needs a boost
Ds takes mtx in addition to humira
And later had to add the partial enteral nutrition plus crohns exclusive diet .
This has made a big difference .
His bloodwork also doesn't show anything
But thankfully he has been with his Gi for years and the Gi understands those are not good indicators for Ds .
Good luck