Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira not working?

08-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
T990

Humira not working?

I've been on Humira since February, and it would work for a week but then slowly wear off, in May my injections were bumped up to once a week and that helped for about a month. Now, when inject Humira on Wednesday, I'll feel terrible by Friday. I had blood work done and my crp is normal and according to prometheus labs I have a sufficient amount in my system, but I can tell I'm having a bit of a flare. I'm once again having fevers, the fatigue is back, the gas is back, etc. The doctor seemed convinced that it's related to nerve issues from the previous inflammation, but I really think it's the humira. I normally inject it into my left and right thighs, perhaps I could try the stomach? I also take 100mg of Imuran which doesn't seem to help with effectiveness.

Last edited by T990; 08-27-2015 at 09:18 PM.
08-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
Hi T990, I don't think it makes any difference injecting into the stomach or the thigh, it's in your body tissue, that's what counts. I'm sorry you don't have the expected relief. Even when I flare (like now), my CRP is normal, by blood results look like those of a completely healthy person, but the MRI of my intestines and my joints say something else, which is surprising to some doctors I saw in the past but which is not surprising to other doctors (where I am now). My GI knows that CRP and inflammation does not necessarily correlate and for some people it can be normal within a really bad flare-up as well.
So, probably the Humira is not working enough but also keep in mind that it does not prevent flare-ups. You can always have flare-ups while on anti-tnf and could need some pred for a short period of time.
Maybe you should talk to your doc again or also see another doc to have a second opinion on the current situation?

Stelara; Uceris; Lansoprazole; Domperidone.

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Sulfasalazine, Entocort, Uceris, Prednisolone, TPN, EEN, different alternative treatments.
08-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
T990

I'm definitely going to contact the clinic next week and see if I can get another opinion. It's frustrating when I know for a fact when I'm having a flare, yet they need visual proof which may not be possible.
08-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
I feel for you, that's indeed frustrating. I'm quite happy that my GI relies more on what the ibd patients are telling than what a scope shows etc. but I also heard of friends having ibd whose doc says: "Well, you are totally fine, it's just ibs in addition. Don't stress so much" and so on. It also depends on what the GI beliefs in.
08-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
T990

That's exactly what happened this past week, I had to see a new ibd doctor in the clinic who put "IBS" on top of crohn's on my diagnosis sheet which is ridiculous. I hope they'll listen when I contact them next week, if not I don't know what my next step should be.
08-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sometimes humira needs a boost
Ds takes mtx in addition to humira
And later had to add the partial enteral nutrition plus crohns exclusive diet .
This has made a big difference .
His bloodwork also doesn't show anything
But thankfully he has been with his Gi for years and the Gi understands those are not good indicators for Ds .
Good luck
08-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Link to the diet and studies done on it
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=71686

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira not working?