Share Facebook

09-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Zootini

High MCV

I was just wondering if anyone could please help me. I started on 6mp a few months ago and since staring them my MCV has been high ranging from 107-117. I have had my b12 checked which seems to be fine. I also recently had my ferritin checked which was 18. The Drs don't seem to do anything. I saw my consultant end of July when he decided to arrange an iron infusion, until the most recent blood results, the nurse originally said she would think I would still have the infusion as I have crohns and can't absorb iron properly and my levels are still on the lower end, she then rang the next day to say actually the consultant doesn't think I need it as my levels are technically not out of range. I don't know what to do because for the last month or so I have felt more fatigued than ever with all the classic symptoms of anaemia, shortness of breath, heart racing, weak, dizzy etc. I have been off work too and now on phased return of only three hours which still exhausts me. I don't know what to do as I feel completely stuck with no voice, no one is hearing me and no one will help me. Please advise if you have had anything similar or know what I can do. Thank you x
Sulphasalazine
Codeine
09-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry that you are dealing with fatigue and other symptoms now.

What is your hemoglobin? Has your folate been checked?

Were you aware that 6MP is a known cause of elevated MCV?

I'm sure others will have more information for you soon.
09-14-2015, 02:19 AM   #3
Zootini

Thank you for your reply. My hemoglobin was slightly low but apparently not concerning. My folate is fine, in good range. Yes I am aware but I didn't have any symptoms before or very little symptoms, but now they are very persistent and interfering with everyday life just very frustrating I dont know what to do
09-14-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
Sounds very frustrating! I hope you can get some answers soon and relief from these symptoms.
09-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Zootini

Thank you, I have spoken to another nurse again at the hospital and they are going to ask my consultant if I still need the infusion! Just beating around th bush it seems!