• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the site and the disease

I am 25 and in the military, past month or so i had been having lower right abdominal pain. Last Thursday was my first colonoscopy (colyte is the devil) and the doc said that he is 90 percent sure its Crohn's Disease, so now i am waiting on the biopsy, but they are so full right now i won't be able to go over it until nov 5.

The pain sux right now as i am typing this, but it probably didnt help with mountain biking today. I haven't started keeping a diary yet on the foods but it seems like pretty much everything i eat makes it worse a few hours later. I don't know how this will affect me at my job since it is a stressful position i am in. I have brought it to my boss's attention he doesn't seem to care much as i don't know how to explain the disease really to ppl so that they understand what it is and how it affects me.

I plan on sticking with this website for support, luckily my wife is a nurse and is extremely supportive, but she feels so helpless at times i think she will end up more depressed than myself.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome:
The food issue is a challenge for many of us here. As time goes on you will find things that you can tolerate or not. This disease can be very isolating. Many people have never heard of it. We laugh a lot about the silly things that happen with this disease, things that most people would never discuss. It's great your wife is a nurse, she will be able to help you through all the medical jargon and medications. Did your doctor discuss any potential treatments with you?

Make sure you look at the treatment threads. There is a lot of great info there. It will help you when you meet with the doctor in Nov.:)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I am 25 and in the military, past month or so i had been having lower right abdominal pain. Last Thursday was my first colonoscopy (colyte is the devil) and the doc said that he is 90 percent sure its Crohn's Disease, so now i am waiting on the biopsy, but they are so full right now i won't be able to go over it until nov 5.

The pain sux right now as i am typing this, but it probably didnt help with mountain biking today. I haven't started keeping a diary yet on the foods but it seems like pretty much everything i eat makes it worse a few hours later. I don't know how this will affect me at my job since it is a stressful position i am in. I have brought it to my boss's attention he doesn't seem to care much as i don't know how to explain the disease really to ppl so that they understand what it is and how it affects me.

I plan on sticking with this website for support, luckily my wife is a nurse and is extremely supportive, but she feels so helpless at times i think she will end up more depressed than myself.
Hey just noticing you are back , but not sure you posted your results somewhere. How are you making out! Let us know!

Thanks for asking,
Umm off and on with the pain, I am no longer on active duty orders so had to switch to a different caretaker and so far (first visit was last week) she seems much more involved then the previous dr since she herself has Crohns. She put me back on Entocort to try and get the swelling to subside. I think my case is much more mild from what I have been reading so thats good. Just hope it doesn't get worse. I have a new job and it requires to go through a couple of locked doors before i can get to the restroom so sometimes my co-workers see me sprinting soo a little embarrassing at times. I don't know if my joints hurt from the Crohns or what, but may go see if i have carpal tunnel syndrom because it feels like i sprained both wrists after i do pushups.

Trying to run more and may possibly do the half marathon in vegas if i can get my wife to try it with me.

Paying for the medications will have to be worked in the budget my wife's insurance covers a good amount, just glad i don't have to fron the full amount for entocort :eek: stuff is crazy expensive!

Last edited:
Ever since I started having symptoms I noticed pain in my joints as well, I'm not sure if its due to the crohns either, but I was in a car accident that almost killed me so that could be why to. I haven't started any medications for the crohns yet because I just found out today over the phone that I have it. I know I'm going to have to start on new medications for pain and for crohns how much do they cost before insurance if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi LtHuff, :bigwave:

Welcome back! It seems that many people suffer with joint aches as a part of Crohns and Roo certainly did when she was flaring but since she has been in remission she doesn't have any. How long have you been on the Entocort and when do you see the doc again? Like everything with Crohns everyone is different and some people have success with Entocort and others don't.

Take care, :)
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Thanks for your service Lt.!! Are you out of the military? Or in reserves? Yeah, it seems like joint pain is very common on here so I'd expect the crohn's doesn't help. Good luck with the new doc!!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes, joint pain is very common and I have wrist problems from time to time and hurts for weeks and then it goes away. Both my uncles had carpal tunnel, so I am cautious. Obviously not too much, have too many post! LOL

Yup Colorado National Guard...hopefully i can get promoted to CPT before this disease gets me kicked out. Just started entocort last Friday it has alleviated some of the physical pain so thats good, but then again its not something i can take forever. I speak with the doc in two weeks and don't see her again until Oct unless something comes up. I have a feeling though another colonoscopy will be coming sometime this winter :( Oh well gotta do what ya gotta do.

I get the whole joint pain thing. Try glucosamine and chondrodine. They are OTC's. Your doctor may suggest you take calcium supplements to help. As for exercise go slow and give yourself plenty of rest. I have found for me I feel best when I get 8-10 hours of sleep a night.
As for food effecting you after a few hours, yeah that is pretty common I hear. I have found that 4-6 small meals is easier to deal with than 2-3 big ones. Eat things slowly and chew it well. Never ever fill your stomach up because it causes the acid to push out and that can get at your esophagus. Trust me that is no fun.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yup Colorado National Guard...hopefully i can get promoted to CPT before this disease gets me kicked out. Just started entocort last Friday it has alleviated some of the physical pain so thats good, but then again its not something i can take forever. I speak with the doc in two weeks and don't see her again until Oct unless something comes up. I have a feeling though another colonoscopy will be coming sometime this winter :( Oh well gotta do what ya gotta do.
I was on Entocort for 6 years after my first resection. It is mild in comparison to Prednisone! Entocort is for mild to moderate cases. My motto, if it aint broke don't fix it. :ycool: