• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Suffering

Tired of cramping and want to eat!! Having a bad bout past few days. I'm hungry but when I eat just a few bites I feel bad and quit eating only to feel hollow inside. Then get nauseous from hunger. Cramp crap repeat! Any suggestions on how to get full without nausea? Thanks

Liquid like shake or smoothie? And If you handle that then I always like someting salty like plain potato chips or corn chips!

StaceyDaBom,

If you can handle it ensure drinks are good and help with the hunger. If you cant handle because I think Ensure is dairy based there are other non dairy options.
If you are flaring you need to get that under control or sorry to say soup may be the only substantial meal I can think of that is easier on the gut.
You can also try blending/juicing/etc. food to make it easier on you and may reduce cramping. Hope you find something to eat that doesn't kill ya.
Good luck....hope you feel better........Stay strong.

Thank you !! Think I'm getting back to normal. Just hope it lasts for a while. No one wants to pay you to sit on the toilet all day!! Bosses are starting to realize it's not just a tummy ache or bout of diarrhea. I live in the Deep South so if a bone ain't sticking out or bleeding profusely they say shake it off and get back to work!!

It is true sometimes bosses have no idea and like you said if you don't look sick, sometimes people think you are hamming it up. Talking about what goes on while in the bathroom half the day is a tough subject to talk about with bosses/friends etc. (somewhat of a taboo subject unless you are a crohnie). If you have to give them a why give them a info on the illness and let them know they will never truly understand. Its impossible until you walk in these shoes. Reassure them you as best you can, but in the end you are at the mercy of the illness until they find a cure. You can also ask them if they prefer you stay at your desk after you have had an accident in you pants and see how they respond....ha ha.....I have been on the receiving end of similar situation. Got really sick this year, ended up needing surgery (ileostomy), got back to work and wouldn't you know it I was let go. This is the second time the same thing happened. Surgery in 2005 got back to work and shortly after returning got let go.
After a major surgery.........you need a lost job like a hole in the head.......
In the end you have to understand working for people who see you in this manner aren't people worth working for. Crohnies are what I believe as some of the toughest people out there. Remind your self how far you have come and how much you have accomplished in life and then remind yourself you did it while being unwell all the time. It doesn't pay your bills but it helps keeping you in the frame of mind where you wont get so down about the unfortunate reality of living with Crohns/Collitis/IBD. Stay Strong! Hope you get and stay well.