• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi! I'm new and my story pretty much sucks!

:sign0144:
Hi! I'm Ravioli (not my real name) and I'm going to try and give you a small outlook of who I am.

I'm 16 from London, UK and was told that I have UC in March this year - just before my final secondary school exams were to take place. All of my symptoms began when I was aged 11/12, which is really young compared to the average age. Everything was horrible then, and I was 26kg. I had my first colonoscopy and was told that I have a minor form of colitis, the name too long to remember and was also told that I have anaemia. They didnt give me any medication and was only given iron tablets and multivitamins. After a while, I was discharged from hospital :thumleft:
For three years, the disease was in remission - until everything came back. All the symptoms came back at the wrong time, as I was prepping for my final exams and was weighing 39kg. The doctors thought it came back because of stress. I was told that I would have another colonoscopy a week after my first hospital appointment in three years. That was when they said it may be PROBABLE Ulcerative Colitis. They then asked me to take corticosteroids for 10 weeks (40mg a week, dose decreasing each week) with Omeprazole (20mg), mesalazine (octasa 2.4g) daily, calcichew d3 (twice daily), ferrous fumrate 315mg (one daily) and multivitamins. What sucked the most was that it was two / three months before exams and because I was newly diagnosed, I had to visit the hospital weekly for blood tests, which didnt make my teachers very happy until they got the proof that they needed from my IBD nurse.
My exams went great though and I got amazing grades = 100 per cent better than what I thought I would get (even my parents got shocked haha) and am now in college (known as sixth form in the UK) and am still doing fab! I was given extra time in exams just in case I needed a break in between. Whats really annoying is that I feel that teachers are being much more nicer to me - which I dont want because I want to feel like every other student.
I now visit the hospital every 3-5 months and I get flares 1 or 2 times a month. I am still on iron, multivitamins, calcium and octasa (thrice daily).

Sorry for the lecture!
Hope that tells you something about me :)
Ravioli99 xx :dusty: :ybiggrin: :allright: :banana: :luigi:
(sorry for all the emojis)

Hi and Welcome. Thank you for sharing your Story. I am glad you are doing good and have such a positive attitude. Keep up the good grades. I hope you find a medicine that works and you don't have any flares in years.

scottsma

Well done for getting good grades in your exams.We have a Young Adults thread on here that you might like to look at.I'm sure your positive outlook will be helpful to others in a similar situation.I hope you continue to feel well.

Very well done Ravioli! Since research is looking at breakthroughs in terms of treatment options, people like you can make a success of your lives. I am glad that you like the sixth form and are doing well. Keep on doing well and beat this disease - you are an inspiration to all.

Regards

Very well done Ravioli! Since research is looking at breakthroughs in terms of treatment options, people like you can make a success of your lives. I am glad that you like the sixth form and are doing well. Keep on doing well and beat this disease - you are an inspiration to all.

Regards
Thank you very much! :kiss: :)

my little penguin

Staff member
Don't look at the help from teachers as a bad thing
When Ds was dx with arthritis on top of crohns
He didn't want to ask for the extra help ( his hands were a mess)
But the Rheumo explained it this way
You are only leveling the playing field
You put up with way more than your peers and taking the help when you need it is important to allow you to be the best you can be.
Ds now carries a laptop to all his classes for notes and tests to avoid writing and save his painful hands
Much better
Good luck

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Hi Ravioli! Congratulations on your exams and getting to sixth form, and I'm glad you're doing well!

I know what you mean about teachers being nicer to you than usual - but I'd just look at it like this: they know about your illness, which means that when things get bad they'll be accommodating about it, which is much better than the alternative. It is pretty embarrassing, though.

Hope you continue to do well!! Your positive outlook is really inspirational :)