• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could probiotics have put me into flare or is this normal pregnancy symptom?!

Hi all,
It's been a long time since I've been on here, thankfully as my crohns has been really well behaved!
I am 36 weeks pregnant now and for past 1 week have started to have gastro symptoms (flatulant, diarrhoea) after a settled pregnancy with actual constipation (a novelty) and even before, limited symptoms.. I did start probiotics a week or 2 ago (on and off- poor adherence) hoping it would prevent flare after pregnancy and after antibiotics at birth (due to positive GBS swab) - could the probiotics have caused this? I thought all probiotics good, especially for us with IBD.. Now really annoyed at myself for upsetting it all!
Thanks in advance :)

my little penguin

Staff member
Probiotics take time to stabilize the gut flora
About a month at least for the good stuff vsl#3 ( prescription strength)
During the buildup time abdominal pain and cramping are extremely common.
DS took vsl#3 for a over a year
The first month was rough though .
That said 36 weeks can cause Gi issues if you had Gi issues prior to your periods before since hormones are getting ready for birth .

Either way I would see what your Gi and ob- gyn have to say on the symptoms and the probiotics .

Probiotics aren t proven to help crohns only UC -
For whatever reason they did help DS some but he didn't get a lot of the crohns memos and has rectal issues

Good luck

they have had mixed results in IBD patients. i find lower dose is beter, and there is a minimal benefit, but this all depends on the brand and the strains sin the brand. Scientists generally believe what is happening in our gut is partly the immune system occasionally attacking the good bacteria in the gut, because the lining of the gut is permeable to the contents of the gut, the barrier is poor so adding more bacteria down there could have bad effects. Lactobacillis and bifidobacteria make up only 1% of what is down there, the majority are clostridia, but these aren't available as a supplement. I believe anything over 50billion CFU of lacto or bifido is overkill for IBD and will likely have negative effects. try apple pectin 15-30 grams it's a fiber supplement and will feed the good bacteria that is already down there, dissolve it in a mixer bottle or put it in oatmeal, ramp up your dose slowly over 2 weeks and then decide if you are improved after 3 weeks.