• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Crohn's diagnosis

Hi there, my name is Allie. I’ve been taking a look at the various posts on this forum but have yet to post anything. I’m fairly new to Crohn’s disease; I was diagnosed in September of last year and I have a lot of questions, concerns and worries about how to deal with my everyday life with Crohn’s and my prognosis in general. I would love to hear your stories and experiences with Crohn’s disease.

I often experience severe cramping, pain and diarrhea. When it gets really bad I end up staying home in bed with a heating pad on my stomach. I would love to be able to cope with the pain better so that I can go to school and work while having a flare up. Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers on how to cope with everyday pain?

My terminal ileum is affected by my Cohn’s and I came pretty close to needing a resection a few months ago. Since there are hospital stays and possible surgeries in my future, I was wondering how all of you have dealt with this. During the time I spent in the hospital around my diagnosis I was depressed and anxious and had a hard time keeping my mood and thoughts positive. Can anyone share how they have kept themselves positive during hospital stays?

Hey Allie,
I've was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1997. The way I deal with my disease is one day at a time. Everyday can be different. Hopefully through medicines you can get leveled out enough to manage you flare ups. If you're still having them often talk to your GI. I take several medicines to help me survive each day. My biggest problem is wanting to keep up with my husband and children but knowing when to push myself and when to sit back and rest. I would like to say that my disease doesn't have much control over me but there are times it demands control and I have to stop and take care of myself. I work as an assistant in 1st grade which is quite demanding so there are days when I just can't do it. Sometimes I feel guilty but then I realize that I'm doing the best I can. We didn't ask for this disease, and it's not our fault we have it. Just know you are not alone. I will pray for you.

Thanks so much Lynn! I really appreciate it. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing guilt when I'm unable to get up and go about my everyday life. I guess this is something that I will learn to cope with as time goes on.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when I was 23 (now 54). It's like Lynn said, you just have to take it one day at a time and each flare is a new learning experience. I really haven't had a tough go with it until this year and have been hospitalized twice with bowel obstructions. Be sure you don't let yourself get too tired and if you feel like you need to rest, then rest. Also, keep your doctor's appointments and if you think you're not getting the care that you need, then find another doctor.

Please know that you're in excellent company! We understand what you're going through and if you have any questions, never hesitate to ask. We have Crohn's, but Crohn's doesn't have us!!

I was diagnosed in 1990. Taking medication and staying away from foods that aggravate the disease have helped. There is much support here. I think praying and having others pray for me has helped too.:)