• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Was my small bowel MRI done wrong?

I had a small bowel MRI on monday. From researching the procedure I was under the impression a drink was given an hour before, and then you had to lie face down in the scanner and were injected with contrast and buscopan.

I was given the drink an hour before, but when they scanned me they said to lie on my back and I was not given any injections. I had to hold my breath about 10 times as they took different pictures, then it was over. I did however get awful diarrhoea from the drink which I am still recovering from two days later!

Was my MRI not done right?

Scipio

I don't know enough to say whether yours was done "right" or not, but apparently there is more than one way to do them. Mine was done with prior drink and images taken while lying on my back (like yours). I was given an injection but not directly - it was injected into an IV line. Did you have an IV? If so you may have received the injection but not realized it. All I felt at the injection was a little coldness in my arm as the drug spread. I did not get any diarrhea.

my little penguin

Staff member
Depends on what the doc ordered
There are a lot of different types
Most folks with crohns
Get an MRE with contrast

Are you dx with crohns or was it just an investigation

The MRI was arranged because my FC levels have been elevated for a year. Colonoscopy was clear (although it did show a little inflammation in the rectum with some ulcers but they decided that was from the prep?) so they ordered the small bowel MRI to see if there is any inflammation there.

I have also had a barium meal that did not show anything.