• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going through the process

I am currently going through the process of being diagnosed.

Here is a little history. I have had diarrhea for approx 15 years now. I have always just dealt with it as it has become a joke among friends. Its always "Missy is coming over, better buy TP!" I am a pretty good sport about it but its always bothered me physically.

In 2008, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and started methotrexate oral, graduated to injection until my liver said enough. Then went to Humira that helped greatly. Havent taken anything in about 5 years now. Interestingly enough, I have always had a negative RH factor.

But lately, things have taken a turn for the worst.

I started in September getting horrific acid reflux, nausea, even worse diarrhea. Then my stomach started to bloat quickly. I now look like I am about 6 months pregnant. So I go to my GP. He orders an Abdominal CT.

Abdominal ultrasound said I have a fatty enlarged liver and a spot on my kidney that should be followed up with a CT Scan.
The CT scan said I have a fatty enlarged liver, mild diverticulosis and a spot on my kidney that is a very small cyst.

My GP then referred me to a Gastroenterologist and he ordered the kitchen sink in tests. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy on Dec 1st.

4 stool tests are normal (giardia, e-coli, wbc, clostridium) I have to take 2 more to the lab tomorrow (fecal fat and occult).

CRP is 15.7, ESR is 29, ALT is 57

Everything else is normal (cortisol, H Pylori and creatine).

To top it off, my GP just diagnosed me with a ventral hernia and referred me to a general surgeon (see him next week). I told GP about Gastro visit and he says it could be a good possibility that I was misdiagnosed with RA back in 2008 and this could very well be IBD.

So, that's my story. My question is whats your best guess? Do you think I fall in the realm of IBD?

My son had joint pain when he was younger. Because it seemed to start during ball season we saw an orthopedic, several actually, but they could never find an issue. Two years later he started experiencing symptoms that lead to a crohns dx.

Since Crohn's can come with EIMs, extra intestinal manifestations, we were referred to a rheumatologist. Some joint EIMs run concurrent with active CD flares and others run independent of active CD flares.

My son was diagnosed with JSpA, juvenile spondyloarthropathy, related to IBD. And biologics that help his CD, humira at this time, also work on his JSpA.

A good non invasive test the GP could order so you'd have it at GI consult would be fecal calprotectin stool test. It is a marker for inflammation in the bowels only whereas CRP and ESR are markers for inflammation for anywhere in the body.

Hope things go quickly on testing and best of luck.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi itsmissyb and welcome to the forum! :D

It's very possible that you could have a form of IBD. Hopefully the colonoscopy will give you a concrete answer. Please keep us posted on how that goes and how you're doing. We have a section on the forum for other undiagnosed members if you're interested in meeting others who are in a similar situation here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

I'm going to tag afidz to your thread because she's had surgery before to attempt to correct a hernia multiple times and she may have some information to share with you. I second having the fecal calprotectin done. :)