• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Time Sensitive: Help for a friend, Colonoscopy Prep

Hi all. I've got a close friend who has severe G.I. issues. She has history of colon cancer on both sides of the family. Eating hot foods sends her stomach into a fit! But her 2 daughters and husband need hot food so she tends to make food for them and then just not eat. So I'll whip up frozen smoothies/ice creams (made from fresh fruits I've cut up and flash frozen in my freezer) for her and run them over to her so she has something to eat and something to help her tummy. Last night she couldn't even sleep because of it and I made one for her at 2am.

Anyway, sorry. Rambling. She's FINALLY got a colonoscopy with biopsies scheduled for Tuesday. HOWEVER, she's been maniacally cleaning the house because we live in subsidized housing and HUD is expected to come inspect soon. And guess what? She LOST her Prep Instructions! This is a major problem because the office won't open until Monday morning and the procedure is Tuesday morning!

So, I was hoping you guys could help me out and tell me a common Colonoscopy Prep procedure she can use! Between she and I, we have a decent amount of Miralax. I think I still have one or two of those Bisacodyl tablets left and I have a TRUCKLOAD of the suppositories!!

But we don't have a car so trying to get to the store is problematic. We're both disabled. She MIGHT be able to get a ride from a friend but that's only a might.

I told her to go ahead and start on a liquid diet right now just in case. I wanted to see what you guys say first. She just asked me if she could eat this morning. I told her no, let's see what you guys say.

If her colonoscopy is tomorrow then she should be on clear liquid only today such as broth, gatorade except red, sprite etc.

As far as prep it can vary by doctor. Our GI uses the miralax method, with two ducolax stool softeners.

But she should be able to call the on call GI at the GI group to get their preferred prep or she can call the hospital out patient procedure and get the prep instructions.

What is the Miralax method? I know that's what I used but it's been a year for me and I can't remember things from 2 minutes ago. =(

Okay, so looked up some split miralax methods online. Found one that I hope is good enough and I had the Miralax and Dulcolax tabs for it. But I have a question:

What types of drink are NOT okay for her to drink with the Miralax OTHER than anything red, blue, or purple?

Trysha

Staff member
No alcohol,and apart from the colours previously mentioned she can have all other clear fluids
I had to take two Dulcolax at noon and then start the first miralax at 2 pm mixed with Gatorade to provide electrolytes.,,followed by 2 glasses clear fluids and then clear fluids every 20 minutes for the next few hours

The second miralax taken at 6 pm don't forget lots of clear fluids for the next few hours including Gatorade

Some doctors prefer the second miralax to be taken 6am depending if it's am or pm for the scope
If you google bowel preps for colonoscopy you will find some of the hospitals have posted
Instructions
Main thing with miralax is lots of clear fluids. Plus no solid food the day before the scope.
Good luck
Trysha

Thanks a ton! Yeah, strangely hers wasn't until 11:45am. Mine was at 7am or something ridiculously early but I had to be there at like 5 or 5:30am. That was last year. But she's got more flexibility with being able to take her second Miralax dosage in the morning instead of the middle of the night thankfully.

However, she has EXTREMELY severe anxiety issues and was worried about me looking up all this on the internet. I don't think she trusted that I was looking at hospital and doctor posted instructions so she ended up cancelling her appt this morning and is going to reschedule. She had plenty of time but she was freaking out about it. Oh well.

Thank you all for the help. I have a LOT of information now though. The sad thing is, her doctors office is one that wants her to do the ALL-in-ONE miralax prep which I think will make her sick as a dog! That's why I was trying to look up a split prep. But it's moot now. Maybe she'll trust me enough to use it for the next one. We'll see.

But I gave her my home made Butt-Paste and some Wipies and the jello I didn't use and some popsicles (I've continued eating the lemon-lime ones since last year. they were surprisingly good!), and also the dulcolax tabs I didn't use. So she's all set up. Plus used the kitchen scale I bought last year to measure out exactly 238g of Miralax for her. So she's all set for the reschedule on that end.

(on that "end"... oh man, when you have a colonoscopy, the PUNS just abound, don't they? especially if you're a cusser! *ROFL* you literally can't avoid stepping in those landmines!)