Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Anaphylactic shock 1 year after starting remicade

11-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Anaphylactic shock 1 year after starting remicade

I have been on Remicade for the last year. Its been a great year, probably the best year I have had since being diagnosed in 2007. Because of remicade I went back to work after 4 years. It changed my life.

Thursday I went in for my scheduled infusion. 10 minutes into the infusion, my chest got really heavy, my face got really hot, I couldn't breathe. I felt like I was going to explode. For whatever reason, I had an anaphylactic reaction. I am very fortunate that my doctor acted fast. Right when they noticed I was having a reaction they injected benadryl into my IV, which probably saved my life. My BP was around 190/120 and they said that I turned blue. By the time the paramedics got there my BP had dropped to 150/100 I think, thanks to the benadryl. I was in the ER for a few hours just to make sure I wasn't going to have another reaction. It was honestly the scariest moment in my life. I thought I was going to die.

I am really sad that I can't take Remicade anymore. I had a life again. I don't know what I am going on next. Humira is out the window because I started to develop a reaction to it the last time I took it. I will keep everyone updated though.
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
11-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
matt82

My Support Groups:
I had the same reaction to remicade the second time I had it. Had the exact same thing. Code blue the whole nine yards. And yes very scary. I was on humira. And had no bad reactions to it but I have been off it for 6 years but I'm looking to get back on it shortly. I'm hoping it goes good. If you don't mind me asking. What kind of reaction u get with humira that you can't use it?
11-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My last few doses of Humira I had an injection site reaction. It formed softball sized welts. It wasn't serious, went away after a week or so. But they took me off of it because it was likely headed to a more serious reaction
11-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Really sorry to hear about this Afidz! That just sucks . Could you try Simponi or Cimzia next? Cimzia is approved for Crohn's and AS. Simponi is approved for AS and UC though some GI's are using it for Crohn's. My daughter is on it and her IBD is under control (her FC is 26!!!).
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
11-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry that you can't use it anymore.
11-14-2015, 10:51 PM   #6
happy

My Support Groups:
Afidz, I just posted on your other thread that I was so happy that something good was happening for you and now I read this...!? I am so glad that you are okay. Whew! I cannot imagine how terrified you must have been throughout this ordeal. I am so sorry to hear that the treatment that was finally working is no longer available to you. Please keep us posted as to your treatment options as you learn them. I am always here in the background rooting for your success. Go afidz!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Anaphylactic shock 1 year after starting remicade