• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Muscle Soreness

I hate to blame everything on Crohn's and/or Remicade, so please tell me what you think...

DS just told me his whole body is sore - arms, legs, back. He said it's not his joints, it's the muscles. It started yesterday, but got worse today and is about a 5 out of 10 on being annoying/uncomfortable/not right. It's not painful, just an all around soreness.

We tried to think of what, if anything, he's done differently the last five days or so. He said in gym class they've been stretching before starting class, but it's no big deal. Touch your toes, stretch your hamstring, etc. He couldn't think of anything else.

Any ideas?

He's due for Remicade in one week.

my little penguin

Staff member
Growing or ready to grow ??
Myalgia ( muscle pain ) is very common with crohns
Just an extra
DS has it
Soaking warm tub
Hot packs and exercise tend to help DS

Maya142

Staff member
Could he be getting sick?

If they just started stretching, could he sit out for the next day or two and see if it improves?

I agree with MLP, we use heating pads and hot showers for painful muscles.

My little one gets body/muscle aches with a virus. Sometimes it's the first sign she's getting sick. Tylenol usually helps.

I know my younger son gets awful muscle aches pretty much over his entire body just before shooting up in height.
Is it bad to hope it's just that or a virus and is quickly over?

Tesscorm

Staff member
I know the feeling of not wanting to jump to crohns/remicade at the first sign of 'something'. :(

But, as it is an overall soreness, I would wait it out a few days and see if it is a virus or growing pains. But, for sure, try the hot showers, hot baths with epsom salt, etc. FWIW, a friend recently told me she swears by magnesium oil (rubbed on skin) for muscle/joint aches - S recently tried this for his chest/ribs but he hasn't noticed much of a different tho.

Today was better. Now it's just in his legs. His favorite suggestion was that he's growing, but he said he'd take a virus. Anything BUT Crohns!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Even topical applications are absorbed into your system. When S hurt his shoulder, I checked with GI if he could use voltaren to help with pain. GI said 'ok' but only sparingly as it's still absorbed. Imagine same would apply for magnesium oil or anthing else.

He's fine now and hasn't said anything for a few days. Remicade is on Wednesday.

I looked through different things he uses topically: lotion, soap, the acne cream. Nothing has magnesium oil in it unless it's under a different name.

Looking back, if I had to pick, I think I'd pick the stretching in gym class. I guess we'll see how things go after Thanksgiving break (with five days of no gym).